Almond Joy Cookies – Low Carb and Gluten Free

I have been on the hunt for unsweetened dried coconut for awhile now with no success. So far all of the stores I’ve tried here in SC only carry the sweetened version.

I’m happy to report that a friend recently brought me to an Indian market in North Charleston where I was finally able to find some!  And cheap!  I also scored some Fenugreek, Asafoetida powder, and a few other fun things that I’ll be working with and posting about soon.

The coconut was going to be for some kind of low carb macaroon but when I got started it somehow turned into this cookie. In hindsight that’s not really surprising, because everybody knows that chocolate and almonds work great with coconut.  I suppose you could omit the almond and go for the Mounds bar thing but really other than a nut allergy why would you???

I never got the people who ate Mounds bars – they cost the same as an Almond Joy – but without the yummy nuts.  Why?  WHY???  Somebody please explain it to me because it breaks my brain even thinking about it.  Just. Don’t. Get it.

Anyway, these cookies are pretty decent if I do say so.  You may want to adjust the sweetness to your own taste.  I used the 90% Lindt because I’m used to it but some people may find it too bitter, so again, use what you like.

Chock full of healthy fats, fiber, and even a decent amount of protein, these are super satisfying and very filling.  I ate two for breakfast and it’s almost noon.  Still full.  Might eat two more for lunch, just because I can.  You can too – here’s how:

Almond Joy Cookies - Low Carb and Gluten Free

Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Cookies
Serves: 18 cookies
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the almond butter and coconut oil and blend well.
  2. Add the coconut milk, coconut flavored syrup and eggs, blending until smooth. Stir in the baking powder, salt, sweetener, dried coconut and flax meal until a stiff dough forms.
  3. Roll the dough into 18 one inch balls and place on a greased or parchment covered cookie sheet. Press lightly on each ball to make a dent.
  4. Chop your chocolate and place a piece onto each cookie and top with an almond.
  5. Bake in a preheated 375 degree (F) oven for 20 minutes until browned and slightly puffed. Let cool and enjoy!
Notes
If you don't have sugar free coconut flavored syrup, you can omit it & increase the sweetener to 3 Tbsp and your coconut milk to ⅓ cup.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 cookie Calories: 114 Fat: 11g Carbohydrates: 4g/ 1g net Fiber: 3g Protein: 3g

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Is there a good substitute for the almond butter? I’m one of the unfortunate people who are allergic to nuts.

I think if you omit the almond butter you could just add an extra tablespoon of coconut oil and two more tablespoons of flax meal. Just a guess though since I haven’t tried it – I hope you’ll let us know how they come out if you experiment with them!

3. Anonymous says

Cant wait to try this one with a little tweaking. I am not a fan of stevia so I think I am going to try using a date or two as my sweetener. It should give enough sweetness and work fine consistency wise if I mix it with the almond butter in my blender.

In Australia the main use for coconut oil is as a sunscreen. Most food authorities seem to avoid it because of the amount of saturated fat. Hence I think it might be difficult to find. I’m wondering about butter or a tasteless vegetable oil. What do you think?

Oh they sound delicious!!! I love almond joy, but can’t eat them much of course, love this healthy treat:-) I live in South Charlotte, where abouts are you? Take care, Terra

We are in North Santee, SC right now which is right on Lake Marion in the southeast corner of the state. We may be relocating at some point to the Greenville area though because it’s a better area for our business. We’ll see! Hope you like the cookies!

6. Anonymous says

You mentioned an Indian market in North Charleston. Do you happen to remember the name of it? I’d like to stop in since I live in the Summerville area

You know I forgot that Mounds has dark and AJ uses Milk chocolate! Probably because I never eat Mounds due to lack of nuts. I understand your reasoning and I approve! Now if they just combined the two and had a dark chocolate with the almond I’d be a happy camper! Maybe that will be my next sweet project…

Making these today (finally)! My mom ate all of my almonds, so I used walnuts on top instead, but they smell delicious as they are baking. Thanks for helping me satisfy my sweet tooth!

8. LouWana says

You seem like such a neat person. I just bought and downloaded your book. I’ve got Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes and I’m looking forward to some of these yummy treats!

9. maedee says

Hi Melissa!!
    I just found you….and I’m so glad I did it!!! You are so talented not only in the kitchen but also with your art food work!!
    I would love to try this recipe, because I love anything with almond…but, I’m allergic to coconut. Unfortunately, for me, coconut oil, coconut flower, coconut milk is trend right now as a healthy staple. What can I use to substitute the coconut when a recipe calls for it??

Welcome Maedee and thanks so much! In this recipe I suppose you could use almond flour or flax meal to sub for the coconut but it would be a completely different flavor and texture – still probably good though. Butter can always stand in for coconut oil, heavy cream for the coconut milk, and almond flour can replace coconut flour in most recipes, though you might need a little more than the recipe calls for since coconut flour is so absorbent. Hope that helps! :)

10. Emily says

Be careful with the Lindt 90%. I hear that one is dutch-processed which totally ruins the flavenoid and antioxidant content. The Lindt 85% doesn’t though..and I’m pretty sure ghiradelli is good too:)

1. […] 42. Almond Joy Cookies These cookies take the familiar flavor of Almond Joy candy bars and put them into a cookie. You get real almonds, real coconut flavor from coconut syrup and coconut milk, all while being able to pronounce all of the ingredients used. Giving up commercial candy bars and snacks may be the biggest hurdle for many Paleo eaters, but these cookies can help you resist and even revolt against them. Whip up a batch of these cookies whenever you get the urge to run out and buy candy from the store. […]