Parsnip Chips

Keep calm people!  I haven’t gone off my rocker, or forsaken low carb eating!  I have, however, recently been enlightened to the possibilities of the parsnip!  Due to it’s high fiber content, the net carbs in parsnips are actually surprisingly low for a root vegetable.  A one cup serving of raw parsnips has just 100 calories and 17 grams of net carbs.

Now for those of you limiting your carbs to 20 per day or less, that may still be pretty hefty.  Enter the chip!  This recipe makes about 4 cups of cooked chips from the equivalent of 1 cup of raw parsnips.  A heaping one cup serving of chips has only 4g net carbs.  It’s a perfect snack that can even fit into a very low carb diet if you plan it out right.

And they are oh so good!  They have that slightly sweet thing going on, so when you eat them all crispy and salty and stuff – woo boy are they good.  Now if you end up eating the whole batch in one sitting?  Well I accept zero responsibility for that – but you might want to make sure you aren’t alone with the bowl just in case!

Makes about 4 cups of chips

Ingredients:

2 medium parsnips, peeled & sliced
oil for frying (your choice)
salt

That’s it people!  So easy!  You can try to cut these thin with a knife, but to get the best results, use a mandolin or some other tool to give you thin, uniform slices.  Heat your oil to about 350 degrees and add chips in small batches.  They fry really quickly so be careful!  20 – 30 seconds per batch is all you really need to get these a nice golden brown.  Place on paper towels and sprinkle with kosher or sea salt.

Alternatively, you can toss these in a tablespoon of olive oil and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 6 – 8 minutes until golden brown.  I tried it both ways and frying them produced better looking chips, but baking them still got them crispy and delicious so use whichever method you prefer.

Now I don’t usually do tutorials, but I’m going to make an exception here because I can’t stress enough that these fry quickly and there are mere seconds between too raw, just right, and overdone.  Once they get too dark, they take on a bitter unpleasant flavor that makes them pretty much inedible.  So here are some photos and tanning metaphors to help you out if you aren’t sure what they should look like…

Even though your chips can burn quickly and that would be bad, if you panic and take them out prematurely they will look like this.  Anemic looking and still slightly soggy, this chip makes me sad because it never reached it’s full snack food potential.  I call this look “Summer in Fargo.”

Now this is what you are looking for!  This chip has a lovely golden glow – she’s beautiful, and she knows it.   I call this one “Summer in the Hamptons.”

But oops, only 5 – 10 seconds later you’ve gone to far, and now you have this debacle.  Way too dark and definitely bitter by now, you might still eat it but you won’t enjoy it.  I call this look “Jersey Shore.”

Finally, you’ve reached the point of no return.  This chip is currently being held on charges for putting its baby chip in a tanning bed.  It is shunned and ridiculed by all.  Never do this to your chip.  Ever.

Well there you have it peeps – no excuse not to churn out some perfectly delicious parsnip chips now!

Approximate nutrition data per 1 cup serving:  45 calories, 2g fat, 4g net carbs

Comments

Very funny! Love the Jersey Shore and tanning bed reference, lol. And I’m definitely trying these, I really need more snack foods in my low Carb life.

You are so funny, Melissa! I actually laughed out loud at this . . . the last picture. I think I’ll try these as I have a spirolina (sp?) – veggie slicer and just learned last night on YT how to do slices instead of the curls or noodles.

Will get me some parsnips and I have some yams (these will be mainly snacks for my kids . . . as I also make some paleo friendly “bars” for my kids to snack on.

But, I’ll probably have a little of each.

Thanks again for the recipe and tutorial. I’ll probably bake them.

Thanks Doris! :) I’m sure your kids (and you!) will love them. One caution on baking them – watch them carefully! I found that the baked ones got dark on the edges while staying lighter in the center and a few of them got really dark which is weird because my oven is pretty good at keeping the temperature even. I think it’s a thickness issue and the thinner ones can get dark much quicker so just keep an eye on them! Enjoy!

You are so funny. I love your blog, I know that I will get great ideas and a great laugh as well! Thanks for all you contribute to our low carb community.

4. Lisa Marie Anctil says

I just stumbled across your blog on pinterest! This is exactly what I have been looking for! Can’t wait to try these out ! Thank you thank you thank you!

5. Jen Houck says

Where can I find info out what cooking does to the carbs of foods? I usually just take carb counts od ingredients in their raw state and weight. Maybe I have been short-changing myself! We just recently starting eating turnips. My husband loves them mashed like we have done many times with cauliflower. Should I be counting the carbs differently? I usually peel and weigh measure them in their raw state for the carb count. Thanks for your help if you can.

6. Donna says

LAUGHING…OUT….LOUD ….(it deserved to be spelled out in full in this particular instance)..You are the hands down wittiest food blogger in all of foodie blogdom..

You make low-carb/paleo-esque considerations FUN. Thank you.

7. Rachael says

I did these in the oven to reduce the amount of oil and they came out wonderful! I used 2 tbsp of canola oil and two pinchs of sea salt. Then I layed them out on a baking sheet, sans the parchment paper, and put them in the oven at 425. I checked on them every 5 minutes to remove done ones and turn. Took about 15 minutes for all of them. The key seems to be to make sure they don’t overlap on the baking sheet. Next time I’ll try them in batches. thanks!