Paleo Cherry Crisp

So I want to start upfront by saying this gorgeous crisp is probably not for my keto/atkins induction peeps who are at 20g net carbs per day.  Sorry!  At 10.5g net carbs per serving, it’s probably not going to make it into your menu right now – though it could if you were SUPER strict the rest of the day.  Otherwise, save this for when you are in maintenance mode.  For you paleo, clean eating, or gluten free eaters, this is a dream come true.

I would have posted it sooner, when cherries were still in season, but I actually made it early in August when I was still doing the Whole 30.  And while the ingredients for this cherry crisp recipe are all technically Whole 30 approved, the idea of eating paleo desserts is not (you can read my rant about that in my Whole 30 wrap up post if you haven’t already).  Anyway, so as not to lead any of you down the path of Whole 30 ideology rebellion I was walking, I chose not to post it during the month of August while so many of you were doing the W30 with me.

Did I eat some during my Whole 30?  Yup!  Was it awesome?  Uh huh!  Did I feel guilty about it?  Not a bit!  But for those of you doing the Whole 30 right now, please don’t take this to mean that I’m encouraging you to make and eat this.  I certainly won’t be judging you if you do, but you need to do your Whole 30 in your own way and if desserts are a trigger for you then please don’t let my comments sway you towards eating this if you think/know you shouldn’t!  Stay strong and complete your Whole 30 in a way you can be proud of, this delicious cherry crisp recipe will still be here waiting for you when you’re done!

This dessert recipe is not super sweet – so if you are not Paleo you can add an optional tablespoon of the no-calorie sweetener of your choice to it, and if you are Paleo you can add 2 Tbl of maple syrup or honey to the cherry filling before baking.  Or drizzle some on top of the crisp after it comes out of the oven which is what I did for the rest of the family.  This got rave reviews even from the non-low carb/paleo eaters which is always a good sign!  Hope you guys like it too!

Serves 8

Recipe Ingredients:

3 cups cherries, pitted and sliced
2 tsp almond extract
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk

For the topping:

1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 Tbl coconut oil
1 Tbl water
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt

In a medium bowl, combine the cherries, almond extract, coconut milk and sweetener if using.  Make sure there are no pits!  In another bowl combine all of the topping ingredients and mix well until crumbly.  Pour the cherry filling into one large, 4 medium, or 8 small greased ramekins or oven proof dishes.  Top with the crumble mixture and bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree (F) oven.  Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.  Yum!

Approximate nutrition information per serving:  145 calories, 10g fat, 10.5g net carbs, 3 protein

For more delicious recipes, download my e-cookbook The Gluten Free Low Carber!

Comments

Yep, can’t use up 1/2 of my daily carb allotment, although I would LOVE to, with dessert… but since you did the math Mellissa where are those carbs? Any place we can cut them down at all?

Hey Marge! The cherries alone are 8g per serving which is pretty high. You can eliminate 1g per serving by omitting the coconut milk. The next biggest contributor is the coconut flour which is 1g per serving. If you omit the coconut milk and add 2 Tbl butter instead, then replace the coconut flour with flax meal, you could drop it to around 8g per serving. Still high if you’re trying to stay under 20g per day though! I’ll have to look into replacing the cherries with a less sweet fruit, maybe apples or berries. You can really use any fruit with this same topping but I’m not sure if it would reduce the carbs significantly until I try it and calculate the info. Will work on it! :)

Theoretically you could but I think it would significantly alter the flavor. I’m not a fan of the chia flavor but if you’re used to it then it might not be too bad. Let us know if you try it and how it comes out!

2. Lindsey says

Hi there, just wondering, is there a typo with the almond extract? it says 1 Tbl, 1 tablespoon, and when i tried it last night the crisp was overpoweringly almond. I measured using a tablespoon but wondered after if it should have been 1 tsp?

Thanks for the feedback Lindsey! I personally love the almond flavor with the cherry, but I can see how it would be overwhelming to some! Based on your feedback, I’m going to change the recipe to 2 tsp which will reduce it by one third. Thanks again!

3. Kate Koger says

Have just put this into the oven!! But using up peaches, plums and some frozen raspberries!!! It looks amazing! So can’t wait for this to come out of the oven for pudding tonight! Thanks for the inspiration Mellissa!

4. Kate Koger says

It was STUNNING!!!! The kids loved it and have asked that I make it again!!! So it’s a keeper! Thanks a big bunch Mellissa!!! :D xx

5. Cori says

Hey there. You said that you made it in August? Did you freeze it before baking? I would like to make up some desserts to have at a later date. Feedback?

I REALLY wanted this to work. Based on both taste and texture, I ended up throwing the whole mess away. Mushy, bland, and with a greasy aftertaste. Give me raw cherries… Sorry…

1. […] them yet! But I was excited to see them and know I have another delicious frozen fruit selection. This Cherry Crisp recipe by Melissa at I Breathe I’m Hungry looks like a delicious one to try some […]