It’s a cold and rainy day here, so I thought I’d share this delicious chicken pumpkin chili I made yesterday with you guys! It’s not quite as thick as a traditional chili – the liquid is more brothy, but super flavorful.
I ate it for dinner last night, again today for lunch, and I’m looking forward to eating it again tonight. That peeps, is the sign of a good chili recipe!
I’m not going to lie, this would be made mo’ betta’ with tortilla chips, but since I’m trying to stay on the wagon this time, I went without – and guess what? Still awesome! It comes together quickly too, which is a bonus for an easy weeknight dinner!
This is a great use for all of those turkey leftovers, but since I didn’t have any I used a rotisserie chicken that I first removed the meat from, and then boiled the carcass for half an hour to make the broth. You can use canned broth, just be aware that they often contain starches, and therefore carbs, so be sure to check your labels!
Don’t have a pumpkin lying around? Feel free to substitute sweet potato or butternut squash. Lastly, I used garbanzo beans to make it even heartier, but they aren’t necessary – omitting them will save you about 3.5g net carbs per serving.
I know, you guys are probably getting sick of pumpkin, but I still have some I need to use up, so learn to LOVE it, because I’ve got a few more recipes “coming down the ‘pike” as they say. Pumpkin Crepe Cake with Chopped Pecans? Yeah, that’s going to happen later this week. It. Will. Be. Awesome!!!!! So stay tuned….Print
Low Carb & Gluten Free Pumpkin Chicken Chili
- Yield: 8
- Category: Soups/stews
- Cuisine: Chili
- 6 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups raw pumpkin, chopped
- 4 cups cooked chicken or turkey, shredded
- 1 cup garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 Tbsp canned chipotle peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Heat the chicken stock in a medium saucepan and add the pumpkin. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the shredded chicken/turkey, chickpeas, chipotles, salsa verde, garlic powder, coriander and cumin. Simmer another 10 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Stir in the sour cream and serve. Garnish with shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, avocado, sour cream, red onions, fresh lime juice and or anything else you can pile on top! It’s that easy!
Nutrition info per serving w/out chickpeas: 154 calories, 5g fat, 2g net carbs, 26g protein
- Calories: 181
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 5.5g net
- Protein: 27g