When I was a kid I hated beets. They tasted like dirt to me and everything about them was gross in my opinion. Fortunately as an adult I’ve grown to appreciate them–both for their flavor and their incredible health benefits.
Detox Salad w/ Roasted Beets & Pumpkin Seeds
- Yield: 2
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vegetable salad
- 4 cups mesclun greens
- 2 medium beets
- 4 Tbsp pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the tops off of the beets (these are excellent chopped and sauteed in olive oil and garlic!). Wash the beets and place them, still whole and unpeeled, onto a small baking sheet or even some aluminum foil. Roast them in the oven at 375 degrees (f) for about 40 minutes or until softened and a knife can easily pass through them. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Peel the beets and chop into about 1/2 inch cubes. These will keep in the fridge for days or can be frozen so make extra and you’ll be able to throw this salad together in just a few minutes the next time!
- Place the greens in a large bowl and top with the beets, pumpkin seeds and crumbled goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle over the balsamic vinegar and olive oil just before serving. I like to keep them separate in this salad so I can taste them both individually but if you prefer to blend them first you can, it’s purely a matter of preference! Your taste buds will thank you and so will your liver!