My husband Matt (aka. “Mr. Hungry”) gets credit for this breakfast lasagna recipe idea. When he first mentioned it as a breakfast possibility, I thought it would be pretty cool to try. I wasn’t on a low carb or gluten free diet at the time, and thought I might use a traditional noodle and layer different breakfast meats, eggs, cheese, etc. I added it to my list of recipe ideas to pursue for the blog, and then forgot about it for awhile.
I recently remembered it, and thought it might work as a low carb breakfast option, using the cream cheese pancakes to stand in for the noodles. I had some pancakes leftover in the fridge from the low carb caramel machiatto tiramisu I posted the other day, so I made it for breakfast this morning. It’s yummy!
I kept it simple, and just layered breakfast sausage links, fluffy scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese and the pancakes. I may try different variations of this recipe in the future (fresh herbs, goat cheese, mushrooms, onions, spinach – the sky’s the limit really!) but this is what I had on hand. Even my son liked this low carb breakfast lasagna.
As a bonus, you can make this ahead in a casserole form, and then gently heat in the morning for breakfast.
If you like to mix savory and sweet in the morning, you could pour sugar free syrup on it, or use the stevia sweetened version of the pancakes for just a hint of sweetness. Play with it and let us know if you come up with any cool variations on this recipe!
Low Carb Breakfast Lasagna
A low carb and gluten free recipe for breakfast lasagna. Can be assembled the night before, so it’s perfect for brunch or a lazy Saturday morning. Serve with Hollandaise sauce to make it even more decadent!
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Eggs
- 8 eggs, scrambled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 sausage links, fully cooked
- 12 cream cheese pancakes (unsweetened)
- Cover the bottom of an 8 x 8 pan with 4 pancakes, it’s ok if they overlap.
- Put down a layer of scrambled eggs, followed by one third of the cheese.
- Cover with another 4 pancakes, then add all of the the sausage links.
- Sprinkle with another one third of the cheddar cheese.
- Add the last layer of pancakes, followed by scrambled eggs, and the remainder of the cheese. You can use more cheese if you like.
- Bake in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes at 350 degrees (F), or microwave for 3 – 4 minutes on high, or until the cheese is melted.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Serving Size: 4 inch square
- Calories: 551
- Fat: 47g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Protein: 29g
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my free 3 day kickstart plan to get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
In other news, for a limited time I’m bundling my Amazon best-selling e-book The Gluten Free Low Carber with my first two issues of the IBIH ezine for only $9.99 – that’s a discount of over 50%!
You’ll get over 75 original recipes that can’t be found here on the blog for less than 15 cents each! And it’s some of my best work yet if I do say so! Need some low carb side dish recipes to complement your ham or turkey? Or some decadent low carb dessert recipes to WOW your guests??? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
Get more information on the books here, or simply click the Add to Cart button to download now!