England’s “Bubble & Squeak.” I’d have made this eventually simply because I love the name!
In Ireland it’s called Colcannon and in Scotland it’s referred to as Rumbledethumps. But what is it?? Traditionally made with leftovers, it’s a combination of mashed potatoes, cabbage (or kale), green onions (or leeks), and it often includes cheese. Since I’m still running my comfort foods from across the pond sequence, this seemed like a perfect fit!
I modified it for low carb by substituting cauliflower mash for the potatoes, and I added bacon because, well, do you really need a reason to add bacon to anything??? I thought not. You could omit it and make this a vegetarian dish – it’s satisfying and delicious either way! I didn’t add the extra cheese because my cauliflower mash is already made with cheese (look at me all showing restraint and stuff!), but you could certainly sprinkle some on top and bake until melted and browned which would be that much more delicious!Print
Bubble & Squeak (Low Carb and Gluten Free)
- Yield: 4
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: English
- 2 cups cheesy cauliflower puree
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion, green only
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Steam or microwave the cabbage for a few minutes until softened.
- Mix the cabbage with the cauliflower puree and scallions, season with salt and pepper. Place in an oven proof bowl, sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake for about 20 minutes at 375 degrees (F) or until heated through and bubbling.
- Serve with optional pat of butter and chopped bacon on top. Truly satisfying (and if you are low carbing, totally legal) comfort food!