There’s something about Summer that makes me crave seafood.
Blue Crabs w/ Chipotle & Lime Brown Butter Sauce
- Yield: 3
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Seafood
- 12 live blue crabs
- 1 packet crab boil seasoning
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp red chilies, chopped
- 1 Tbsp canned chipotles, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp of fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot, bring about 8 – 10 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Add your crab boil seasoning to the water. Using tongs (the longer the better, these things are feisty!!!!) grab the crabs one at a time and plunge them face first into the water. Cook them for about 10 minutes.
- While the crabs are boiling, melt your butter in a large saute pan. Add the chipotles, coriander and cayenne pepper and cook on medium for about 4 minutes until the butter has lightly browned. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chilis, lime juice and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- (If using shrimp instead of crabs, you can either cook then first and then toss them in the sauce, or just add them to the sauce raw (prior to the chilis, cilantro & lime juice) and simmer for 4 – 6 minutes until just done. Don’t overcook them or they will be hard and rubbery. When the shrimp are cooked, remove from the heat and then stir in the lime and cilantro before serving.) If using the crabs, once they are cooked, remove from the boil and add them to the butter sauce. Stir and baste to make sure all of the crabs are coated with the sauce.
- Serve with lime wedges and lots and lots of napkins!
I’m calculating nutrition info based on the ingredients as listed in the recipe, but the truth is that most of the fat and calories come from the butter which coats the shell and ends up in the bottom of the pan so you are probably getting a lot less fat and calories than this.
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 31g
- Carbohydrates: 10g net
- Protein: 16g