When I saw that Pompeian was running a contest to try out their new Grapeseed or Olivextra Premium Mediterranean Blend oils, and that the winner would win an all expense paid trip to Blogher Food 2013, I knew I had to enter! Well the deadline is April 30, and as usual I’m cutting it close!
Update: I’m one of the 15 Semifinalists!!!! Please, please, pretty please with the sugar free substitute of your choice on top VOTE FOR ME over on the Pompeian Facebook page – it only takes a second and I will be forever grateful!!!
UPDATE: Your votes got me into the top 5 and I just want to say a HUGE THANK YOU for all of your support! You guys are the best!
[pinterest text=”Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Mediterranean Salsa (Low Carb and Gluten Free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/medchixsmall-666×950.jpg”]
The challenge was to replace butter or regular olive oil in a recipe with one of their new oil products. I chose to use the Grapeseed Oil in my low carb recipe. It has a light flavor, and since I was grilling the chicken, I wanted something with a high smoke point. It worked perfectly! If you’d like to try the Pompeian Grapeseed Oil, you can get a coupon for $1 off by visiting their site.
[pinterest text=”Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Mediterranean Salsa (Low Carb and Gluten Free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/medchix2small-700×623.jpg”]
First I marinated the chicken breasts in a mixture of grapeseed oil, balsamic vinegar, and some seasonings. I grilled the chicken, and then topped it with a Mediterranean play on salsa, which also was lightly dressed with a simple vinaigrette using the grapeseed oil and balsamic vinegar. We loved this very easy low carb recipe, and ate the leftovers for days – it just got better and better with time!
[pinterest text=”Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Mediterranean Salsa (Low Carb and Gluten Free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/medchix3wmsmall-700×503.jpg”]
We later added some feta cheese to it which I’ll list as optional in the recipe, since it’s not in the photos. The feta definitely added another layer of flavor, so if there is room for some dairy in your diet, then I highly recommend it!Print
Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Mediterranean Salsa
An easy and healthy Mediterranean-inspired low carb chicken recipe!
- Yield: 4 servings
For the Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbl Pompeian Grapeseed Oil
- 1 Tbl Balsamic Vinegar (no added sugar)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For the Mediterranean Salsa
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 2 Tbl capers, drained
- 2 Tbl sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives (spanish), pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted (or pickled) red & yellow peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbl balsamic vinegar (no added sugar)
- 2 Tbl Pompeian Grapeseed Oil
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
For the chicken
- Combine the 1 Tbl grapeseed oil, 1 Tbl balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Trim the chicken breasts if necessary, and slice into cutlets about 3/4 inch thick. Place in a non-reactive bowl (plastic, ceramic, or glass) and pour the marinade over the chicken. Mix to ensure the chicken is well coated. Cover and marinate for at least an hour, or overnight. Grill (or saute) the chicken breasts until fully cooked (no longer pink or at 165 degrees F).
For the Mediterranean Salsa
- Combine the artichoke hearts, capers, sun dried tomatoes, olives, peppers, and parsley in a medium-sized bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the grapeseed oil and balsamic vinegar. Pour over the salsa and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Arrange the chicken on an oven-proof plate or platter. Spoon the salsa over the top of the chicken. Garnish with crumbled feta if using. Warm in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes if desired, or serve cold – it’s delicious either way!
Approximate nutrition info per serving: 280 calories, 15g fat, 5.5g net carbs, 27g protein
- Serving Size: 4 oz chicken & 1/2 cup salsa
[pinterest text=”Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Mediterranean Salsa (Low Carb and Gluten Free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/medchix4small-700×423.jpg”]
For more great low carb recipes, download your copy of The Gluten Free Low Carber today!