Cherries are one of my favorite Summer fruits. In years past, I would buy tons of them when they were in season (and cheap), then eat them right out of the bowl until I got sick of them – after which I’d freeze the rest to use throughout the year.
Sadly, when on a low carb diet, we have to limit our fruit intake due to the sugar. That doesn’t mean completely eliminating it in every case though. I’ve found that I can enjoy certain fruits in moderation – and adding small amounts of it to recipes can really maximize the flavor.
Take this salsa for example. It has a decent amount of cherries in it, but to keep the carbs down I bulked it up with jicama, which is very low carb.
The jicama adds a nice crunch, and also absorbs the cherry flavor, rather than competing with it. The fresh basil adds an herbaceous quality that enhances the cherries even more. So even though the cherries make up less than half of the volume in this salsa, they remain the star.
[pinterest text=”Grilled Chicken with Cherry, Basil and Jicama Salsa (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/cherrysalsasmal-675×950.jpg”]
This sweet, herby, and crunchy salsa is the perfect accompaniment to the grilled chicken.
I used rosemary in the marinade to add another layer of flavor, but you could really substitute any fresh summer herb with good results.
[pinterest text=”Grilled Chicken with Cherry, Basil and Jicama Salsa (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/cherrychix2small-700×950.jpg”]
Easy and fast, this low carb recipe is a great way to ride out the dog days of Summer – or to get back into the swing of things once the kids are back in school!Print
Grilled Chicken with Cherry, Basil and Jicama Salsa (Low Carb and Gluten Free)
A low carb and low calorie chicken recipe that is fast, easy, and uses lots of fresh summer produce! Whole 30 compliant if you omit the vinegar from the marinade!
- Yield: 4 servings
For the Chicken:
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar free balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Salsa:
- 1/2 cup jicama, chopped
- 1/2 cup cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Chicken:
- Trim the chicken breasts and slice into 1/2 inch cutlets. Combine the marinade ingredients and the cutlets in a medium bowl and cover. Marinade for at least one hour, or overnight. Grill the chicken for about 2 minutes per side, or until cooked through (no longer pink.) Serve warm or cold with the cherry salsa.
For the Salsa:
- Combine all of the salsa ingredients in a small bowl. Mix thoroughly and serve with the grilled chicken. If possible (but not necessary), make the salsa an hour ahead so the flavors can meld and the cherries will release some of their juice into the jicama.
Approximate nutrition information per serving:
4 oz serving of chicken: 157 calories, 5g fat, .25g net carbs, 26g protein
1/4 cup serving salsa: 48 calories, 0g fat, 3g net carbs, 0g protein
Per serving chicken & salsa: 205 calories, 5g fat, 3.25g net carbs, 26g protein
- Serving Size: 4 oz chicken & 1/4 cup salsa
As an added bonus, this recipe is also low calorie, leaving plenty of room in your budget for dessert! ;) If you want to keep the cherry theme going, try my Paleo Cherry Crisp recipe!
Don’t forget, there’s still time to download your copy of the Summer Recipes e-zine to enjoy even more amazing low carb and gluten free recipes by yours truly! ;)0