This low carb stuffed eggplant recipe has an Asian inspired pork filling that is flavored with spices, ginger, mint, and fermented black bean sauce. The saucy, rich filling melts into the tender eggplant shell, making this the perfect low carb comfort food!
I actually created this low carb stuffed eggplant recipe last year when I was still living in New York. There were the most beautiful fat Sicilian Eggplants in the produce section one day and I just had to have them. They were the size of small pumpkins and perfect for stuffing!
Since I love eggplant combined with Asian flavors (like these awesome low carb Asian Meatballs with Stir Fried Eggplant,) I decided to stuff them with ground pork, seasoned with some of my favorite Asian flavors like fish sauce, ginger, black bean paste, and mint (among other things.)
The end result was saucy and perfect – not to mention super cute stuffed into the eggplant shells.
Since I know Sicilian eggplants aren’t easy to find, you should know that the flavor with regular eggplant will be the same. Just choose a couple of large ones and halve them, then score into cubes and scoop them out – but be sure to leave a rim around the sides and bottoms if you plan to stuff them.
Stuffing these is optional btw, you can peel and chop regular eggplant and add it to your meat mixture and serve it over cauliflower rice or even zero carb Shiritake noodles for a complete meal! Either way it’s going to be delicious!
If you’re a fan of Asian flavors, you’re going to love the sweet and umami notes in this low carb stuffed eggplant recipe! The refreshing punch of mint really makes it, and keeps you coming back for more!
If you don’t eat pork, you can try this with beef – or ground turkey would also work! I like my low carb Asian recipes to have some kick usually, but I didn’t add any heat to this one. That’s totally optional depending on your preference! If you like it spicy, just add some crushed red pepper flakes to the recipe along with the other dried spices during cooking.
Asian Pork Stuffed Eggplant – Low Carb and Gluten Free
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Low Carb Main Dish Recipe
- Cuisine: Asian
- 2 medium Sicilian Eggplant or 2 large purple eggplant
- 1 1/4 lbs ground pork
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp ginger paste
- 3 Tbsp Black bean sauce
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- In a medium sauté pan, brown the ground pork for about five minutes or until cooked through – stir it and break it up so it doesn’t have any large chunks during cooking.
- Add the water, fish sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, salt, ginger paste, black bean sauce, and tomato paste to the cooked pork and stir well.
- Cook for about five minutes.
- Core the eggplant leaving about half inch border all the way around and on the bottom (see photo in post.) If using purple eggplant, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the white flesh, leaving a 1 inch border.
- Chop the pieces you remove into one quarter inch cubes or similar.
- In a separate sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Sauté eggplant pieces in the olive oil until slightly browned and softened.
- Add the cooked eggplant and fresh mint to the meat mixture and stir well. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Cook the eggplant shells in the microwave on high for three minutes or until slightly soft.
- Remove the eggplant from the microwave and place on a cookie sheet.
- Carefully spoon the meat and eggplant mixture into the eggplant shells.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. Serve hot garnished with more fresh chopped mint if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/2 stuffed eggplant
- Calories: 346
- Fat: 24g
- Carbohydrates: 7g net
- Protein: 23g
Had a little too much fun and need to drop some pounds? Get started today with my free low carb and keto menu plans to kick start your weight loss in 2017!
Can’t get enough delicious low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!