So I know what you’re thinking…”enough with the chickpea cakes already!” I swear this is the last one (at least for awhile!) but this is another good one and I just couldn’t resist! Plus I still had chocolate ganache frosting leftover from the last one and I had to use it up before I ate it all out of the fridge with a spoon!
It’s hard for me to choose which is my favorite of the three between the apple, chocolate, and this one–this one is definitely a contender though. It’s moist and full of banana flavor and nuts–what’s not to like!? Without the frosting this would make an excellent breakfast option–loaded with protein and healthy carbs it will keep you going all morning.
This definitely lends itself to a muffin format which makes life easier when you’re taking them on the go. I have to say, this is not the prettiest cake I’ve ever made and when I cut it to try and take photos of it sliced it was a disaster! I finally gave up and just ate the piece I was trying to photograph and only took pictures of the last bite before finishing it! Once I started, I couldn’t stop, it was just SO GOOD! Another bonus is that unlike traditional baking this is such an easy recipe–I mixed the entire batter in a blender and poured it into a pan–it took less than 5 minutes from beginning to popping it into the oven. So easy there’s no excuse NOT to make it!
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup hemp milk (or almond, soy, rice, coconut, or dairy…)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- approximately 1/2 a jar of Nutella
- Chocolate ganache frosting (here)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line (2) 8-inch cake pans with parchment or foil and grease. Trust me this makes it easier to get out of the pan!
- Put chickpeas, bananas, milk, eggs, sugar and almond butter into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Add baking powder and process briefly until incorporated. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 45 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from pans.
- Place first layer on serving dish and spread with nutella followed by a thin layer of ganache. Place second layer on top upside down and pour the ganache over it spreading with a knife until smooth. Garnish with sliced bananas and nuts if desired. Super yummy, moderately healthy, and naturally gluten free!!
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Cake