It’s been a looooong time since I posted a new low carb meatball recipe, and this BBQ Chicken Meatballs recipe is pretty fantastic if I do say so!
When I was doing the Whole 30 last month, I was really craving something meaty and a little sweet. I wanted something I could eat on the run also, and since I personally enjoy eating cold meatballs (WEIRDO 🙋) this was a no-brainer for me.
Those tender, savory meatballs slathered in this sweet and tangy BBQ sauce… it was total bliss! With the added bonus of being guilt free!
Even Mr. Hungry was a huge fan of these delicious BBQ Chicken Meatballs – especially paired with the Tropical Slaw w/ Papaya Chia Dressing that I posted last week!
It’s the perfect healthy meal for a hot summer day. And if you aren’t on the Whole 30, you should TOTALLY make some of my low carb White Summer Sangria to go alongside it.
HELLO SUMMER, I 💖 YOU SO MUCH.
BTW this Whole 30 BBQ sauce would work equally well on grilled chicken breasts or thighs – or even pork if that’s your jam!
For the actual meatballs I used ground chicken because it’s very common here in Belize, but you can use ground turkey or pork to make these and they will be just as delicious if not more so!
To Make This Recipe Low Carb:
The meatballs are fine as is for low carb, but you can make the following adjustments to the sauce to lower the carbs significantly:
Omit the dates and pineapple. Increase vinegar to 1/4 cup. Add 1/4 cup erythritol sweetener (or to taste) and 1/4 tsp xanthan gum to thicken. Add 1/4 tsp liquid smoke and 1/4 tsp caramel flavor/extract (optional.)
Approximate nutrition info for 3 meatballs/sauce with low carb substitutions:
414 calories, 29g fat, 3.5g net carbs, 35g protein
BBQ Chicken Meatballs – Paleo & Whole 30
These delicious BBQ Chicken Meatballs are guaranteed to be a hit with the entire family! Paleo, Whole 30, Gluten free, dairy free and low carb too!
- Yield: 6
- Category: Paleo Meatball Recipe
- Cuisine: American
For the meatballs:
- 2 lbs ground chicken (or turkey or pork)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup almond meal or flour
- 1.5 Tbsp BBQ spice mix (no sugar or MSG) (I used Badia)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp avocado or light olive oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (no sugar added)
- 1/3 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- 3 Tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- pinch of salt (or to taste)
For the meatballs:
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients (except the oil) in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Form into 18 meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick saute pan and fry the meatballs on both sides until golden brown and cooked through. About 3 minutes per side. Remove the meatballs to a paper towel-lined plate.
For the BBQ sauce:
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce and stir to coat.
- Simmer the meatballs in the sauce for about 5 minutes, or longer if desired.
- Taste and adjust for salty or sweet to your preference.
- Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs
- Calories: 463
- Fat: 29g
- Carbohydrates: 15g net
- Protein: 35g
Can’t get enough low carb recipes???? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!