A beautiful and delicious low carb and gluten free dessert – perfect for special occasions (or anytime!)
- 1 batch Lemon Almond Shortbread Dough
- 8 oz Mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese) softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar substitute
- 1 tsp lemon zest (garnish)
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries (garnish)
- For the blueberry sauce (optional)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp sugar substitute
- Per the recipe instructions, bake the shortbread dough into one large tart or pie crust, or 10 smaller tarts. Cool.
- In a medium bowl, whip the Mascarpone lightly with a fork until soft – do not use a mixer or it will separate! In another medium bowl, whip the heavy cream and 1/4 cup sugar substitute together until stiff peaks form (you can use a mixer for that). Add 1/3 of the whipped cream to the mascarpone and gently fold together until combined. Add that mixture gently into the remaining whipped cream and fold until fully combined.
- For the blueberry sauce
- In a small blender or food processor, puree the blueberries and sugar substitute together. Strain through a fine sieve.
- To assemble the tarts
- If serving within an hour, spread the blueberry sauce onto the tart crust. Spread or pipe mascarpone mixture onto the tart. Garnish with fresh blueberries and lemon zest.
- If not serving right away, assemble without the blueberry sauce (to avoid the crust getting soggy) and then serve it on the side.
Approximate nutrition info:
For 1/8th tart, no sauce: 468 calories, 47g fat, 4g net carbs, 9g protein
For 1/8th tart, with sauce: 478 calories, 47g fat, 6g net carbs, 9g protein
For one small tart, no sauce: 374 calories, 37g fat, 3g net carbs, 6g protein
For one small tart, with sauce: 384 calories, 37g fat, 5g net carbs, 6g protein
- Serving Size: 1/8th tart/pie or 1 small tart