Pie. Just the word makes me salivate like one of Pavlov’s dogs. You can put pretty much anything into a pie crust and it will taste amazing. It’s just a fact. Indisputable.
- For the filling:
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chopped jalapeno or other chili
- 1lb raw chicken breast, chopped
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (or coconut milk)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped hearts of palm
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- For the crust:
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flax meal
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- For the filling: Heat the coconut oil in a medium saute pan. Add the onions and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic & jalapeno and cook for an additional minute. Add the chopped chicken, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut flour and let it toast for about a minute, then add the coconut cream or milk and mix until all of the flour is absorbed. Add the coriander, pepper flakes, and hearts of palm and let it simmer for about 3 more minutes.
- Finally, remove from heat and add the cilantro and lime juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool while you make your crust.
- For the crust: Combine the cream cheese and coconut oil, blending until smooth. Add the egg and blend until fully combined. Stir in the flax meal, coconut flour and salt until a stiff dough forms. Chill in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- To make the hand pies, divide the dough into four equal balls. The easiest way to roll them out is to do it between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll into a circle and place about half a cup of filling onto half the circle. Use a thin spatula slid under the crust to release it from the parchment and fold it over. Pinch the edges and place on a greased cookie sheet. Make a few slashes in the top to let the steam out. Repeat with the remaining pies.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree (F) oven for 30 minutes.
- Alternatively, put the filling in one large or four small oven proof dishes and roll out one or four round tops. Lay across the filling and crimp the edges. Cut a few vent holes and bake for 25 minutes at 350.
Approximate nutrition info for filling:
899 calories, 34g fat, 20g net carbs, 116g protein
Approximate nutrition info for the crust:
1216 calories, 97g fat, 8g net carbs, 39g protein
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Meat pie
This was a fun one for me and even my husband liked it, though he did say it would taste better in a “real” crust. What can I say, he’s not wrong. But this low carb version is definitely a keeper and I can finally eat pie again so no complaints here! I used coconut oil this time but I’m going to try butter in my next batch which may give it even more of a traditional pie crust flavor. Can’t wait for you guys to give this one a try and report back! I’m going to give you the nutrition info for the crust and filling separately, and in total, in case you use just the crust for another recipe. Enjoy!