I’m a big fan of Chorizo! In fact I went through a phase a few months ago where I was eating it at least several times a week.
- 1 cup raw cauliflower puree
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, ground
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/8 tsp stevia
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 lb chorizo sausage, uncured
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 poblano peppers
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Roast the poblanos on the grill or under the broiler until the skin is blackened. Cool, peel, and remove seeds from the peppers.
- Meanwhile, mix your raw puree’d cauliflower with the almond flour or ground almonds, coconut flour, eggs, spices, parmesan cheese and butter. Stir and you should have a thick mashed potato-like puree. Set aside.
- Remove the chorizo from the casings and saute in a medium pan until fully cooked. Mix in the puree until well combined. Remove from the heat and add 1 cup of the shredded cheese and cilantro.
- To make the casserole: Slice the peppers into strips and spread over the bottom of a 9 x 13 or equivalent oven safe dish. Spread the chorizo mixture over the sliced peppers, top with remaining 1/2 cup (or more) of shredded cheese and bake in the oven at 400 degrees (F) for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- To make the stuffed peppers: Split each pepper lengthwise so that it lays flat in one large piece. Place about 1/4 cup of mixture onto the middle of each pepper and fold both ends of the pepper up and around the filling. Use wooden skewers to keep them closed if necessary – I didn’t and they held together fine.
- Place on a cookie sheet and repeat with the rest of the peppers. Sprinkle them with the remaining cheddar cheese and bake in the oven at 400 degrees (F) for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with sour cream, salsa, cilantro and/or avocado before serving.
Nutrition info does not include garnish
- Serving Size: 1 pepper
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 30g
- Carbohydrates: 7g net
- Protein: 22g
These are hearty and satisfying and totally eradicated my craving. It’s the ultimate spicy comfort food – I can’t wait to eat the leftovers for dinner after I finish this post! :) As a side note, these are VERY filling, so unless you have a large appetite you’ll probably feel full after just one.