These delicious low carb Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with Mocha Frosting are rich and fluffy perfection! Gluten free and Keto friendly too!
For the cupcakes:
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup shredded zucchini, packed
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar substitute (I used Swerve)
- 3 Tbsp premium cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
For the frosting:
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F)
- Combine the wet ingredients (butter, eggs, vanilla extract, almond milk, zucchini) in a magic bullet or blender and blend for 20-30 seconds or until smooth.
- Combine the dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum) in a medium bowl and stir until mixed and there are no lumps.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the liquid is absorbed and a thick batter is formed.
- Spoon the batter evenly into 8 cupcake liners or greased tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 22 minutes. Remove and cool before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Combine the softened Mascarpone cheese, sweetener, coffee extract, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder in a small bowl and mix gently with a fork until smooth. (Don’t mix too aggressively or your Mascarpone will separate!)
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff.
- Mix 1/3 of the whipped cream gently into your mascarpone mixture until smooth.
- Fold (GENTLY) the Mascarpone mixture into the remaining whipped cream until all streaks of white are gone and the mixture is smooth but still fluffy.
- Spread or pipe onto your cooled cupcakes.
- Chill to store, but these are best served at room temperature.
To see a list of my favorite low carb products and brands that I recommend for sweeteners, flours, etc. you can check out the IBIH Pantry Ingredients Page!
Approximate nutrition information per serving:
1 cupcake no frosting: 193 calories, 21g fat, 2.7g net carbs, 5g protein
1 cupcake with frosting: 318 calories, 33g fat, 3.5g net carbs, 7g protein
Note: I used organic heavy whipping cream which has no fillers and therefore only trace amounts of carbs. If you use regular, add about .5g net carbs per frosted cupcake.