- 1 Whole Roasting Chicken (5 – 6lbs depending on your crock pot size)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tso ground black pepper
- 1 whole lemon, sliced thinly
- 4 Tbl butter or ghee
- 2 Tbl chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse and pat dry your chicken – also be sure to remove any innards and discard. Rub all over with salt and pepper. Place the bird in the center of the crockpot and pour the water into the pot with it. The liquid should just cover the bottom so if you are using a very large pot, increase water by another 1/2 cup if necessary. Cook on High for about 3 hours – longer if you are cooking a larger bird. Internal temperature should be 165 degrees (F) at the thickest part of the thigh. If you don’t have a thermometer, just ensure that the juices are clear and the meat isn’t pink.
- Before serving either add the butter, parsley and lemon slices to the pot for ten minutes, or cook them in a small saucepan until the butter has melted and the lemons darken in color. Then pour over your bird before serving.
Approximate nutrition info per serving: 300 calories, 18g fat, 1g net carbs, 29g protein