If you’re looking for a foolproof Keto turkey recipe, look no further than this Easy Keto Roasted Turkey with Herb Butter! No poultry PHD required!
- 12 – 14 lb turkey
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sage, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 small apples, quartered
- 1 cup of water for the pan
For the gravy (in addition to pan juices):
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (to thicken)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (F) and adjust your racks to fit the turkey into it.
- Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey and rinse the bird inside and out. Pat dry.
- Combine the softened butter, sage, parsley, garlic, salt and butter in a small bowl, mixing well to combine.
- Starting from the back of the bird, slide your fingers between the skin and breast meat, opening a cavity that extends all the way to the front and along the sides of the breast.
- Push the flavored butter under the skin, covering all of the meat. Do the same with the tops of the drumsticks, being careful not to pierce the skin. This is no time to be squeamish – roll up your sleeves and get in there with your fist full of butter! Then rub the remaining butter over the rest of the skin of the turkey, top and bottom.
- Stuff the quartered lemons and apples into the cavity of the bird. If they don’t all fit, throw the rest into your roasting pan.
- Pour the water into the bottom of the pan to prevent scorching.
- Place the bird UPSIDE DOWN onto the rack of the roasting pan – this protects the breast and keeps it from drying out.
- Roast at 400 degrees for one hour.
- Remove from the oven and turn the bird over carefully – I used a clean dish towel which allowed to me to get a good grip on it so it didn’t slide around.
- Roast the turkey right side up for another 6 minutes per pound – so for a 13 pound turkey it would be another 78 minutes.
- Test with a meat thermometer for 165 degrees at the thickest part of the thigh. If not quite there, give it another 15 minutes and test it again.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest – preferably for an hour if you can.
- While the turkey is resting, pour the pan juices into a measuring cup. Skim off 90% of the fat and then add the 1/2 cup of water and xanthan gum.
- Puree in a blender or magic bullet and re-heat just before serving.
The nutrition information will vary quite a bit depending on what part of the bird you are eating. I’ve provided approximate nutrition info for breast meat with gravy – assume if you’re eating dark meat that the fat and calories will be higher, but the protein and carbs should be about the same.
- Serving Size: 4 oz turkey, 2 Tbsp gravy
- Calories: 276
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 34g
Keywords: Easy Keto Turkey, Keto Roasted Turkey, Juicy Keto Turkey