Well it’s 10:38 on Saturday morning and I’m eating lasagna for breakfast. Some of you are thinking “ewwww” but some of you, like me, can eat anything delicious at any time and are thinking “mmmm!” I didn’t plan it this way, it just kind of happened and if you were here, you’d be doing it too! Trust me on this!
Gluten Free Lasagna w/ Garbanzo Bean Crepes
- Category: Pasta
- Cuisine: Lasagna
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 8 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth. Skim off any foam from the top and let the batter rest for a few minutes.
- For a breakfast crepe, you will need patience, a nonstick pan, butter or spray, and a good quality (read: thin and flexible!) nylon spatula. Keep the heat low so that you don’t brown them too much while you are waiting for them to set. When set, flip carefully–they do tear easily but they are light and delicious with syrup and/or fruit.
- To make these as a lasagna noodle, I don’t recommend the pan method. It takes forever to make enough and it’s irritating if they tear on you when you flip them. After scrapping three of them as noodle potential I had a brainstorm and poured about 1/4 inch of batter in the bottom of a dish and microwaved it for 1 minute, then another 30 seconds. It worked!
- But even better I think would be to pour the batter into a well greased cookie sheet or two depending on how much you need and baking it at 325 for a few minutes until set. Not sure how long it would take but since they are thin probably not more than 8 minutes. Then you can cut them into squares to fit your pan or make them individually like I did for the photos.
I haven’t experimented with freezing these made for later use but I imagine it would work, just put wax paper in between them so they don’t stick together.
You can use any lasagna recipe with these–veggie or meat. I layered them with my bolognese sauce, ricotta, romano and mozzerella cheese and it was delicious! Let me know what you think!