- For the dough:
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp stevia or splenda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- For the filling:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cooked spinach, drained
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup sliced deli ham, chopped
- To make the dough: Combine the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients and stir until a stiff dough forms. Divide into 6 balls of equal size and cover.
- To make the filling: Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- To assemble: Lay a piece of parchment paper on your counter. Place a dough ball onto it and cover with another piece of parchment. Using a rolling pin, roll out into a circle about 8 inches in diameter.
- Place about 1/2 cup of filling on one half of the dough. Use a spatula to release the other side of the circle and fold it over the filling, crimping or rolling the edges to seal. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Cut a few slits in each calzone to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Bake in a 350 degree (F) oven for about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with tomato salad or marinara sauce if desired.
I used full fat ricotta and part skim mozzarella – you could reduce the fat and calories by using lower fat cheeses, just be aware that your carbs would increase. Enjoy!!
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Calzone
- Serving Size: 1 calzone
- Calories: 516
- Fat: 40g
- Carbohydrates: 6g net
- Protein: 22g