Perfect for Summer grilling season, these keto chicken & prosciutto spiedini are easy to make, and fun for parties or a quick weeknight meal along with a salad. Salty prosciutto wrapped around thin chicken cutlets and fresh, pungent basil leaves, with an oozy cheesy center – what’s not to love?!?!
I first had Spiedini at a restaurant in Asheville, North Carolina. Their version was very simple – prosciutto wrapped around skewers of mozzarella cheese, cooked in a wood oven and served over arugula with lemon oil. It was so very delicious that I vowed right then to make my own version for the blog someday.
Well it’s been a couple of years and I’m finally getting around to it! On doing some research, I found out that traditionally Spiedini is some form of meat, sliced or minced, seasoned and breaded before being skewered and grilled. I opted not to go for the breading to keep the carbs down in this keto chicken and prosciutto spiedini – but I promise that you won’t even miss it!
Technically you could omit the chicken layer altogether (and they would cook faster too) but I liked that it was hearty and satisfying with the chicken included – making these keto chicken and prosciutto spiedini more of a meal than an appetizer.
Because I used chicken and I knew it would take longer to cook, I went with a hard provolone cheese instead of a softer mozzarella – that way all the cheese didn’t ooze out during cooking. It worked pretty well and I enjoyed the more complex flavor of the provolone.
You could certainly use mozzarella (or any firm cheese) in these keto chicken & prosciutto spiedini, but for best results make sure it’s nice and cold when you assemble them – that will keep it together as long as possible during the cooking process so that it’s melty when done, but doesn’t melt too early and ooze out all over your grill or oven.
I opted not to put a sauce on these, but a small amount of reduced balsamic glaze drizzled over the top would add another layer of flavor and sweetness that would really complement these keto chicken & prosciutto spiedini. Just be sure to go easy with it and count the carbs into your daily budget if you do.
Note: Unfortunately these don’t reheat well – I actually preferred the leftovers cold or at room temperature over a salad. So if you’re making these for a crowd or a party, assembly and chill ahead of time, but don’t cook them until within a half hour of serving time for best results!
Keto Chicken & Prosciutto Spiedini
Perfect for summer grilling season, these keto chicken & prosciutto spiedini will be a hit with friends and family alike! Keto, Atkins, Low Carb, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Nut Free.
- Yield: 8 skewers
- Category: Keto appetizer recipe
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 8 raw chicken tenders
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 8 oz block provolone (or other) cheese
- fresh basil leaves
- 8 skewers
- Combine the salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Trim the chicken tenders of tendon, and then pound them out to a half inch thickness.
- Season the chicken with the spice mixture.
- Cut the provolone (or other cheese) into pieces about 1 inch by 2 inches long
- Place a slice of prosciutto on a cutting board.
- Lay a pounded chicken tender on top of it.
- Top the chicken with one or two leaves of fresh basil.
- Place a piece of cheese across the basil, about one inch from the edge closest to you.
- Carefully roll the bundle and then skewer it and place it on a plate seam side down.
- Grill for about 3 minutes per side, or until the skewers are cooked through and a thermometer reads 165 degrees in the center.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1 skewer
- Calories: 174
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: .75g net
- Protein: 20g
Had a little too much fun and need to drop some pounds? Get started today with my FREE low carb and keto menu plans to kick start your weight loss in 2017!
Can’t get enough delicious low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!