I’ve never fancied myself a baker. In fact most of my friends will tell you that I rarely bake and have even professed to hate it at times. Don’t get me wrong, I can do it if I have to, but I despise exact measurements and am more of a “little of this and a little of that” kind of gal. But something has come over me lately (maybe the rainy and chilly weather we’ve been having has something to do with it) and I have been baking up a storm.
I’m inspired by things that are gluten free or made with ingredients outside the norm like the garbanzo bean cake I made yesterday. Specialty flours and grains are easier than ever to find these days, especially through the Bob’s Red Mill brand. In addition to some other items by BRM I bought a bag of their chia seeds the other day. There was a recipe for lemon chia cake on the back of the bag that I modified with spelt flour, hemp milk and coconut oil instead of margarine. As a side point does anybody really use margarine anymore? Don’t these people know about the evils of trans fats already??? But I digress….
Anyhoo, this cake is chia-licious!!!! There are no eggs because the chia seeds, which are soaked and become slightly gelatinous act as a binder, and yet still give you that little crunch when you bite into them like poppy seeds. While not strictly gluten free because spelt does contain small amounts, it is wheat free and also vegan. Did I mention delicious?
- 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup of hemp milk (almond, rice or soy)
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil (butter if you must)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the chia seeds, lemon juice, and hemp milk. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Cream together coconut oil and sugar. Slowly add the chia seed mixture and blend well. (Mine was lumpy and didn’t combine well but I continued anyway and the end result was great so don’t freak if all the liquid doesn’t incorporate into the oil/sugar mixture). Add the dry ingredients and blend until just combined.
- Scrape into greased 8 inch loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Upon removing from the oven combine 2 Tbsp sugar and 1 Tbsp of lemon juice and pour evenly over the top. Allow to cool slightly before slicing. Super yummy!
- Category: Cakes
- Cuisine: Desserts