This hearty and comforting take on Cottage Pie is perfect for those chilly fall nights! Paleo and Gluten Free!
- For the filling:
- 1 pound beef sirloin tips
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter (Ghee if Whole 30)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 additional tablespoon butter
- 1/2 half cup dry red wine (omit for Whole 30)
- 1/2 half cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 quarter cup sour cream (or coconut milk if strict Paleo or Whole 30)
- For the topping:
- 4 cups puréed sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced tarragon
For the filling:
- Season the beef with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Brown the beef in a heavy bottomed sauté pan until seared on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp of butter and onions to the pan and cook for five minutes or until onions are soft. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms and the additional 1 Tbsp butter and sauté for four minutes or until golden brown and soft.
- Add the wine and water to deglaze the pan and cook for three minutes.
- Return the meat and onions to the pan with the mushrooms.
- Add the parsley and sour cream (or coconut milk), stirring well until creamy.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
For the topping:
- Mix the mashed sweet potato (or cauliflower puree if using,) butter, salt-and-pepper and minced tarragon together.
- Place the meat mixture in a buttered oven proof casserole dish, and spread evenly to cover the bottom.
- Spoon the sweet potato (or cauliflower) mixture onto the top, and spread so all of the meat mixture is covered.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375°F and then finish in the broiler for two minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve hot, garnished with more fresh parsley if desired.
I will update with the nutrition info as soon as I get a chance!
- Category: Paleo Main Dish Recipe
- Cuisine: English