Wait, DON’T GO! I know to some of you those ingredients might sound a little off-putting and you’re already scrolling by…
You’re thinking “Meh, not my jam, time to move along…” but I implore you to hear me out on this one!
It’s true that the Better than Potatoes Cheesy Cauliflower Puree and Bacon and Smoked Gouda Cauliflower Mash are amazing low carb side dishes and go perfectly with a roasted turkey, ham, or pretty much anything in the history of ever.
So you might think you don’t need yet another low carb side dish for your table, but you’d be wrong!
There is totally room for this hearty and delicious mash in your repertoire! It’s got a rich and comforting flavor that brings a hint of sweetness combined with an earthy tang that you just don’t get from a cauliflower mash.
I still love you cauliflower….don’t be mad…
The addition of a pinch of horseradish makes your mouth water just a little and keeps you coming back for just one more bite….until suddenly it’s all gone and you’ve still got a heap of sliced turkey and stuffing on your plate – and you’re confused like you kind of blacked out for awhile and don’t even remember eating it all.
“How did that happen????”
This ambrosia of perfectly roasted and pureed goodness induces an almost trancelike state.
Even before you taste it you’ll find yourself gazing at the swirls and valleys and glistening pools of salty melted butter… Let’s just take a minute.
Now that we’ve established that you need to make this STAT, on to more practical considerations.
This side dish recipe can be started the day before serving with the roasting process – and even if everything isn’t quite soft enough to puree once roasted, you can refrigerate and then finish in the microwave until soft right before pureeing and serving minutes before dinner time.
As an added bonus, this is an AMAZING addition to any low carb soups or stews that you might make with any turkey leftovers. I stirred the last 1/2 cup or so that was still in my fridge into some soup I made and it not only added a lovely flavor, but also worked great as a thickener, making it even more silky and hearty.
I’d make this delicious low carb puree JUST to freeze in smaller quantities to add to soups and stews in the future – it’s that good.
This delicious low carb Celery Root, Turnip and Apple Puree will go perfectly with a roasted turkey or ham! Keto, Paleo and Atkins Diet friendly!
- 4 cups of turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup of chopped onion
- 4 cups celery root, chopped
- 1 cup granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. prepared horseradish
- Combine turnips, onion, celery root, apples, and olive oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and Pepper and toss well to coat. Spread out on a large cookie sheet.
- Roast at 325° F for 45 minutes or until golden brown and soft. Remove from oven.
- Add the roasted vegetables to a food processor or blender. Then add the almond milk, butter, heavy cream and horseradish and blend until smooth. Add more almond milk or heavy cream if necessary to get the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve hot.
Approx nutrition info per 1/2 cup serving: 114 calories, 8g fat, 7g net carbs, 2g protein
- Category: Low Carb Side Dish Recipe
- Cuisine: American
Can’t get enough low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!
New to low carb and need some help getting started? Try out any one of my free low carb and keto menu plans with recipes and shopping lists and start losing weight fast!