I had a very full day planned today and I was looking forward to it. Unfortunately I woke up this morning and my back was locked up so I had to cancel all of my plans. This has happened to me a couple of times, the latest was in CT in 2010 and had me down for about a week. It’s totally frustrating, but the good news is that I’m stuck at home and immobile so I’m free to post this recipe today. Glass half full, I’m all about it!
So I made this chicken salad during the same weekend that I posted the other Grilled Chicken & Bok Choy Salad. I’m not sure which was my favorite, they were both pretty delicious. What I liked about this one though is that it lent itself perfectly to being stuffed into a romaine lettuce wrap for a low carb lunch on the go. I know you can simply shred the lettuce and eat them together, but there is just something about the wrap/sandwich format that is satisfying sometimes. And it’s one of the things I occasionally miss while doing low carb, so wrapping this in lettuce was a nice treat for me.
This refreshing summer salad also stands fine on it’s own though, and is a great way to use up leftover grilled chicken. And bacon. If you have any leftover. (laughs hysterically) Really, who has leftover bacon? Not me. Ever.
I added some jicama for crunch and some roasted poblanos for heat – hope you guys like it!Print
Southwestern Chicken Salad w/ Bacon & Avocado
- Yield: (8) 1/2 cup servings
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Chicken salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted & chopped
- 1/2 cup raw jicama, chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled & chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbl lime juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the chicken, poblanos, green onions, jicama, and avocado in a medium bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the mayo, lime juice and spices until blended.
- Add the dressing to the salad and stir gently to combine. Stir in most of the bacon and cilantro, leaving a small amount out to use as garnish. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve wrapped in lettuce, low carb tortilla wraps, or straight out of the bowl. Dress with a small amount of sugar free tomato salsa if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 170
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 2g net
- Protein: 9g
Depending on how this back thing goes, I’ll either be MIA for a few days or posting like mad out of sheer boredom! I still have some recipes/photos backlogged and ready to post so hopefully there won’t be too much of a lull while I’m too gimpy to slave over the stove. Yesterday I started working on a kid friendly low carb corn dog and it was a total bust. Obsessed with making that work somehow though so look for it soon! M-