A low carb and gluten free meatball recipe inspired by the bacon cheeseburger.
For the Meatballs:
- 1 lb ground beef (I like 80/20 for these)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup chopped raw bacon (from the fatty ends)
- bacon fat to cook the meatballs in
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp sugar free (or low sugar) ketchup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp dill pickle juice (or dill pickle relish if you prefer chunks)
- 3 oz cheddar (or other) cheese
- 4 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 slices of bacon, cooked and broken into 12 pieces
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly. Form into 12 meatballs. Fry in a non-stick pan in the reserved bacon fat (or use the oil of your choice) for about 4 minutes for the first side. Turn them over and top each with a slice of cheese. Cook for another 4 minutes, or until done to your liking. Remove from the heat, and top each meatball with a piece of bacon.
For the Sauce:
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Place 1 cup of shredded iceburg lettuce on a plate. Top with 3 meatballs and drizzle with about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of sauce.
Approximate nutrition information per serving:
1 meatball: 160 calories, 11g fat, .25g net carbs, 14g protein
3 meatballs w/sauce & lettuce: 591 calories, 45g fat, 1.5g net carbs, 42g protein
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs