A low carb Belizean Stewed Chicken recipe made in your Instant Pot! Homey and comforting, this is an economical keto chicken dinner that the entire family will love!
- 4 whole chicken legs (thigh and drumsticks, separated into 8 pieces)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp recado rojo or achiote seasoning/paste
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sliced yellow onions
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano (Mexican if you can get it!)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute (I used erythritol)**
- 2 cups chicken stock
- DON’T ADD SALT
- Combine the recado or achiote paste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce), cumin, oregano, pepper and sweetener in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces and rub the marinade into the skin. Marinate for at least one hour up to overnight.
- Place the insert in your Instant Pot and set to saute.
- Heat the coconut oil and brown the chicken in batches, skin side down for about 2 minutes per side (reserve the marinade to add back in later.)
- Remove the seared chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the Instant Pot and saute for 2-3 minutes until steaming and softened.
- Add the chicken pieces back to the Instant Pot.
- Pour the chicken broth into the bowl containing the remaining marinade and stir well.
- Pour the broth/marinade over the chicken pieces in the Instant Pot.
- Seal the Instant Pot according to manufacturers instructions.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual, High pressure, for 20 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, release the steam.
- Taste the sauce and add a little salt if needed (it probably won’t need it,) then serve the chicken hot, garnished with cilantro if desired.
** See the IBIH Pantry Page for products I use and recommend for best results!
Approximate nutrition info breakdown:
1 leg or small thigh: 279 calories, 18g fat, 0g carbs, 28g protein
1/4 cup sauce: 40 calories, 4g protein, 3g net carbs, 0g protein
- Serving Size: 1 pc chicken, 1/4 cup sauce
- Calories: 319
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 3g net
- Protein: 28g