This delicious and elegant butternut squash & fennel gratin goes great with roasted meats, especially a ham. Can be prepared in advance and reheated too!
- 4 cups peeled butternut squash slices, approximately 1/4 inch thick
- 3 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 tsp butter to grease dish
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 2 oz good quality blue cheese (or another cheese)
- salt and pepper
- Grease a 9 x 9 casserole dish or equivalent with 1 tsp butter. Layer the squash first and then the fennel, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper between each layer.
- Combine the almond milk, heavy whipping cream, butter and cheese in a microwave safe dish and cook on high for 2 minutes or until mostly melted. (or melt in a saucepan)
- Pour the cream mixture evenly over the vegetables.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake in a 350 degree (F) oven for 60 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes or until slightly browned on the top.
- Let set for 10 minutes before serving.
Approx nutrition info per 1/2 cup: 124 calories, 10g fat, 6.5g net carbs, 1g protein
- Category: Low Carb Side Dish
- Cuisine: American