A delicious keto chocolate brownie recipe drizzled with caramel and chopped nuts. Gluten free, keto, lchf, low carb and Atkins diet friendly!
For the brownies:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/3 cup granulated erythritol sweetener (Swerve or other)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup good quality cocoa powder (for baking)
- 1/4 cup 90% cocoa (or more) dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 Tbsp sugar free chocolate flavored syrup (torani or davinci style)
For the caramel:
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 1/3 cup erythritol granulated sweetener (Swerve or other)
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- 1/2 tsp caramel flavoring (aka “extract”)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (or any nut)
To make the brownies:
- Combine the melted butter, almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, vanilla extract, eggs (and yolk), , baking powder, cocoa powder, chopped chocolate, and sugar free chocolate flavored syrup in a medium bowl.
- Stir lazily by hand until fully combined – don’t beat or whip or you’ll end up with a much cakey-er texture.
- Pour into a parchment or foil lined 8×8 square pan.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree (F) oven for about 12-13 minutes, or until the center no longer jiggles when you gently shake the pan.
- Remove and cool before slicing.
To make the caramel:
- Melt the butter and sweetener together in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes or until bubbling.
- Add the half and half, xanthan bourbon, and caramel flavoring.
- Whisking continually, cook for 3-5 minutes over medium heat.
- It will get darker in color the longer you cook it.
- Remove from heat when your desired color is reached.
- Let it cool slightly to thicken.
To serve the brownies:
- Remove the brownies from the pan and peel off the parchment or foil.
- Add the cooled caramel to a small plastic ziplog baggie, then cut about 1/8 inch off of one of the bottom corners of the bag.
- Gently squeeze the caramel over your brownies – you may have some leftover.
- Sprinkle your chopped nuts evenly over the top of the brownies.
- Then cut into 16 brownies (2×2 squares.)
- Best served at room temperature, but if you are keeping them more than 24 hours, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Approximate nutrition information:
1 “naked” brownie: 117 calories, 5g fat, 2g net carbs, 3g protein
1 Tbsp caramel: 33 calories, 3g fat, .5g net carbs, 0g protein
1/4 Tbsp walnuts: 16 calories, 2g fat, 0g net carbs, 0g protein
1 “dressed” brownie: 166 calories, 10g fat, 2.5g net carbs, 3g protein
- Serving Size: 2 x 2 brownie with toppings
- Calories: 166
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 2.5g net
- Protein: 3g