A spicy and sweet low carb and gluten free meatball recipe inspired by Jamaican Jerk Ribs.
For the Meatballs
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 Tbsp Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 tsp granulated sugar substitute
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup tamari (wheat free) soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbl chopped fresh ginger
- 2 Tbl orange zest
- 1 tsp minced habaneros or scotch bonnets (optional)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/8th tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup sugar substitute (honey for Paleo)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (or arrowroot powder for Paleo)
For the Meatballs:
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly. Form into 12 meatballs. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, or fry in a nonstick pan for about 4 minutes per side, until cooked through.
For the Sauce:
- Combine the tamari sauce (or coconut aminos), water, ginger, habaneros (if using), orange zest, orange juice, white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and dijon mustard in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 8 minutes. Strain the sauce to remove the habaneros, ginger and orange zest. Add the strained sauce back into the pan, and add in the allspice, sweetener and xanthan gum, whisking until smooth. Simmer for another 5 minutes until thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference.
- When the meatballs are cooked, add to the sauce and heat for a minute or two, tossing to make sure they are fully coated. You could also broil them for a couple of minutes before serving to cook the sauce onto them. Serve garnished with orange zest.
Approximate nutrition information:
per “naked” meatball: 118 calories, 10g fat, .3g net carbs, 7g protein
per serving (3) “naked” meatballs: 355 calories, 30g fat, 1g net carbs, 21g protein
per sauced meatball: 126 calories, 10g fat, 1.3g net carbs, 8g protein
per serving (3) sauced meatballs: 379 calories, 30g fat, 4g net carbs, 24g protein
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs