This Keto Chicken Karaage recipe boasts a crispy, delicious coating and a sweet and spicy sauce. Surprisingly authentic, you’ll never miss the carbs in this Keto version of the classic Japanese Fried Chicken recipe!
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs (skin on if possible)
For the Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce (Tamari)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated erythritol
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the Breading:
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk powder
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Oil for frying
For the dipping sauce:
- 1/4 cup real mayonnaise (I prefer Hellman’s or Dukes for store-bought)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated erythritol sweetener (I use Swerve)
To marinate the chicken:
- Cut the chicken thighs (or breasts if using) into bite-sized chunks (about 1 1/2 inch pieces.)
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken chunks and stir to coat.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours.
To fry the chicken:
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator.
- Combine the breading ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Fill a large saucepan with about 2 inches of oil.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches 350 degrees (takes about 6 – 8 minutes.) You’ll know the oil is hot enough when a tiny drop of water sizzles and pops when you flick it into the oil.
- Meanwhile, transfer a few pieces of chicken at a time into the breading, and turn to coat. Don’t put it all in at once or the breading will get gummy and not adhere.
- When the oil is hot, add 8 to 10 pieces of the breaded chicken to the pot and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the cooked chicken pieces to a wire rack (preferred to maintain crispness,) or a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces until all of the chicken is cooked. Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon and some creamy sriracha dipping sauce.
For the dipping sauce:
- Combine the mayonnaise, Sriracha, Worcestershire sauce, and sweetener in a small bowl and stir well until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Will keep for up to 5 days.
Approximate net carbs per serving = 3g
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Keto Dinner Recipes
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Serving Size: 6 ounces chicken + 2 TBSP sauce
- Calories: 388
- Fat: 32g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 24g
Keywords: Keto fried chicken, Keto Super Bowl recipes, Keto Karaage