This easy keto clam chowder is loaded with tender clams, smoky bacon, and hearty celery root to stand in for the classic potatoes – all swimming together in a creamy, buttery broth. We are talking next level #soupgoals here. For reals. ??
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups peeled and chopped celery root
- 8 ounce bottle of clam juice
- 16 ounces raw chopped clams, reserve any juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan over medium heat for 2 – 3 minutes, or until lightly browned but not crispy.
- Add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and celery root, and saute for 2 – 3 minutes or until fragrant and the onions are turning translucent.
- Add the water and all of the clam juice and simmer on low heat, covered, for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the celery root is tender.
- Add the clams and mascarpone cheese, then stir until the mascarpone has melted and the broth is creamy.
- Simmer on low, uncovered, for 3 minutes, or until the clams are just cooked through. Do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter, stirring until melted.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot.
Approximate net carbs per bowl = 7g.
To reduce carbs, you can replace the celery root with cauliflower florets or chopped radishes, bringing the net carbs down to around 4g per bowl. Personally I think it tastes best with the celery root, and you can adjust your carbs for the day down somewhere else to make room for it.
- Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups
- Calories: 332
- Fat: 24g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: keto clam chowder, low carb clam chowder, easy clam chowder, chowder