Delicious Keto Pierogies made with Fathead Dough are the perfect low carb pierogi substitute! You can fill them with almost anything but this version uses cheesy cauliflower puree!
For the Keto Pierogi Dough:
- 2 cups super fine blanched almond flour
- 2 cups shredded full fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
For the Keto Pierogi Filling:
- 1 cup Cheesy Cauliflower Puree, chilled or at room temperature
- 1 tsp dried onion flakes
To cook and serve:
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 3 Tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
To make the Keto Pierogi Dough:
- Combine the mozzarella cheese and butter in a medium bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir, then microwave another minute.
- Stir until fully combined and cool for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the egg and egg yolk until combined.
- Add the almond flour and stir with a large spoon until combined.
- Turn out dough onto smooth surface (or parchment paper) and knead until a semi-stretchy dough is formed. (if the dough is too wet, add a tablespoon or more of almond flour until workable)
To make the Keto Pierogies:
- Divide the dough into 12 equally sized balls.
- Press each ball into a disk about 4 inches around.
- Combine the Cheesy Cauliflower Puree and dried onion flakes and mix well.
- Place about 1.5 tablespoons of room temperature Cheesy Cauliflower Puree onto one half of each disk, leaving a half inch border to seal.
- Fold the dough over the filling and pinch to seal.
- Chill 10 minutes or freeze until ready to use (if cooking from frozen, thaw first)
To cook and serve the Keto Pierogi:
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add 6 of the pierogies to the pan and cook for 3 minutes per side or until the dough has turned golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Cook the remaining 6 pierogies the same way.
- Serve warm with the onions and butter over the top.
- Serving Size: 2 Pierogies with 1 Tbsp onions in butter
- Calories: 503
- Fat: 46g
- Carbohydrates: 7g net
- Protein: 20g