Keto Shepherd’s Pie Meatballs
These Keto Shepherd’s Pie Meatballs contain all of the comforting flavors of the classic shepherd’s pie, in a fun new low carb meatball format!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Keto Meatball Recipes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: British
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20)
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 cup super fine blanched almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
To make the meatballs:
- Put all of the meatball ingredients (except for the oil) into a medium-sized bowl. Mix well with your hands, and then form into 18 meatballs, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until the oil is shimmering.
- Add the meatballs and cook for about 3 minutes, then turn over with tongs and cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and set aside.
To make the sauce:
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to the same skillet you cooked the meatballs in and stir well.
- Bring the sauce to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and add the meatballs back to the pan and stir to coat in the sauce.
- Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes, or until it has thickened and reduced by about one third, and the meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve hot, preferably over a serving of Keto Cheddar Leek Cauliflower Mash.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Approximate net carbs per serving = 3g.
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs + 3 T sauce
- Calories: 391
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: Keto Meatballs, Shepherd's Pie Meatballs, Meatballs