These tasty Keto Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bon Bons will remind you of the classic ice cream truck version – only healthier and even more delicious! Low carb, Atkins, gluten free and grain free.
FOR THE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup granulated erythritol sweetener
- 1 cup hulled strawberries
FOR THE SHORTBREAD CRUMBS:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup superfine blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup granulated erythritol sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
FOR THE ICE CREAM BALLS:
- 3 cups low carb strawberry ice cream, soft enough to scoop
- 1 cup mixed shortbread crumbs (see instructions below)
TO MAKE THE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM:
- Combine cream and almond milk in a medium microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla, sweetener and egg yolks to heated cream and stir until combined.
- Microwave for one minute. Stir.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, stir.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds, stir. (Don’t try to do this all in one step or you’ll end up with sweet scrambled eggs – alternatively you could heat it in a saucepan until thickened.)
- Strain into a chilled bowl to get any lumps out and chill in the freezer for 15 – 20 minutes until cold.
- Meanwhile, blend your strawberries in a food processor or magic bullet until slightly chunky.
- When your custard mixture is chilled, pour it into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When the ice cream is at a soft serve consistency, slowly pour in your strawberry mixture.
- Spoon into a container, cover, and freeze until firm enough to scoop.
FOR THE SHORTBREAD CRUMBS COATING:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees (F)
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, almond flour, and sweetener.
- Stir with a fork until well mixed and crumbs form.
- Transfer approximately half of the mixture to a separate bowl.
- Add the strawberry extract (and red food coloring if using) to one of the bowls and mix well.
- Line a small cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Press the strawberry flavored mixture into one side of the pan, and the plain mixture into the other side of the pan.
- Bake the shortbread for 10 – 12 minutes or until just golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- Break up into large crumbs and combine them.
- Store in an airtight container or bag in the refrigerator for up to one week, or in the freezer for up to three months.
TO MAKE THE ICE CREAM BALLS:
- Scoop the ice cream into 18 two-inch balls with a small scoop. Place the ice cream balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for 30 minutes or until firm. (Don’t worry if they aren’t perfectly round, you can mold them in the crumbs later.)
- Place the crumbs in a small plastic bag, and roll the firm ice cream balls in the coating one at a time, placing them back on the parchment paper once coated.
- You’ll have to work quickly so they don’t melt into a mess. If they soften too much, put them back in the freezer until firm enough to work with.
- Once all the balls are coated return to the freezer for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
3 bon bons = 4g net carbs
Nutrition info for just the shortbread crumbs: 156 calories, 15g fat, 4g carbs, 2g fiber, 2g net carbs, 4g protein
- Category: keto desserts
- Serving Size: 3 bon bons
- Calories: 436
- Fat: 45g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 8g