A delicious low carb and gluten free pot pie recipe that can utilize leftover turkey or chicken in a hearty and comforting meal the whole family will love!
For the pie filling:
- 2 cups chicken or turkey stock (or broth)
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup peeled chopped sweet potato or butternut squash
- 1/2 cup chopped kale
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (or other thickener)
For the pie crust (makes two 9 inch rounds):
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
To make the pot pie filling:
- In a medium sized pot, simmer the stock, chicken and sweet potato for about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are starting to soften. Add the kale, thyme, garlic powder, paprika, and shredded cheddar and stir until the cheese has melted into the broth. Remove 1/2 cup of broth to a small bowl and whisk in the xanthan gum. Add it back to the pan and stir until combined with the rest of the broth. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
To make the pie crust:
- Combine the dry ingredients together and mix thoroughly. In a medium bowl, mash the butter and cheese together with a fork until fully combined. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and use a fork or pastry cutter to mash it together until fully incorporated into little pea sized lumps. Add the egg and stir until a dough forms. Divide the crust into 2 balls of equal shape. Freeze one for later use and chill one for ten minutes before rolling out for your pie.
To assemble the pot pie:
- Spoon your filling into an 8 inch pie plate or casserole dish. Place your dough ball on a sheet of parchment (or wax) paper and cover with another sheet. Roll out with a rolling pin to a size and shape that will cover the dish you are using. Peel off the top layer of the parchment. Then flip the pie crust upside down over the dish of filling and gently peel off the parchment. Roll and crimp or press the edges down around the edge of your dish as desired. Be sure to slash the top a few times with a sharp knife to let steam out while baking. If you have extra dough, you can also decorate the top with leaves or other shapes as shown. Bake the pie on the bottom rack of the oven at 375 degrees (F) for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. If you are using a double crust, or started with cold filling, bake it for 30 – 35 minutes at 350 degrees (F) or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Note: The almond flour in the dough can go from golden to scorched rather quickly so keep an eye on it during those last few minutes to make sure it doesn’t go to far on the edges.
Approx. nutrition info per serving: 319 calories, 23g fat, 6.5g net carbs, 17g protein
- Serving Size: Approximately 3/4 cup