- 8 baby eggplant
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Wild Fennel Pollen (optional)
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- to serve:
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- Wash the eggplant and cut them into halves. Place on a cookie sheet cut side up. Drizzle with the olive oil and then sprinkle with the fennel pollen (if using), salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 350 degree (F) oven for about 45 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Right before serving top with about a teaspoon of ricotta cheese per half. Sprinkle with freshly cracked peppercorns (pink or mixed if you have them) and just a few grains of salt. Drizzle with a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Based on my experiments, the best way to eat them is similar to an artichoke leaf. Just sink your teeth in and pull, scraping off all of the delicious filling, and leaving the tough skin behind.
- Serving Size: half an eggplant
- Calories: 44
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g