A low carb and gluten free salmon meatball recipe that is perfect as an appetizer or a main dish salad.
For the meatballs
- 16 oz fresh, raw salmon
- 4 oz smoked salmon (not lox style)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chives (or scallions), chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
For the tartar sauce
- 1 Tbl capers, drained & chopped
- 1/2 tsp caper brine from jar
- 2 Tbl dill pickles or cornichons, chopped
- 1 Tbl fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
For the onions
- 1/4 cup red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Make the onions first, because they need time to soften and mellow. Then the tartar sauce so they flavors can meld. Do the meatballs last.
For the onions:
- At least 30 minutes before serving, combine the onions and lemon juice in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the tartar sauce:
- Combine all of the tartar sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Chill until ready to serve.
For the meatballs:
- Remove the skin and any bones from the salmon. Dice the raw salmon with a sharp knife. Crumble the smoked salmon into small pieces using your fingers. Combine all of the salmon and the remainder of the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl. Form into 16 meatballs. Fry in a nonstick pan with a small amount of oil until golden brown (about 2 minutes per side). Don’t overcook or they will dry out.
- Serve garnished with arugula and lemon wedges. Also excellent with bacon or pancetta crumbled over the top.
Approximate nutrition information:
per “naked” meatball: 62 calories, 3g fat, .25g net carbs, 8g protein
per “naked” serving (4): 248 calories, 12g fat, 1g net carbs, 32g protein
per meatball with the works: 94 calories, 7g fat, .6g net carbs, 8g protein
per (4) meatballs with works: 378 calories, 27g fat, 2g net carbs, 8g protein
- Serving Size: 4 salmon balls