Low Carb Smoky Bacon & Turkey Chowder Recipe
Put those turkey leftovers to good use in this delicious low carb and gluten free turkey chowder recipe flavored with bacon and cheddar cheese!
- Yield: 8 generous servings
- Category: Keto Soup Recipe
- 8 oz bacon
- 1 large shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 8 cups turkey (or chicken) stock
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups raw sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups cooked turkey meat, shredded or chopped
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the raw bacon into 1 inch pieces.
- Brown the bacon in a medium saute pan until slightly crisp.
- Remove about 1/4 cup of the bacon, crumble and set aside for garnish.
- Add the shallots and celery to the bacon and grease in the pan, cooking until soft – about 5 minutes.
- Add the turkey stock, whipping cream and shredded cheddar cheese, whisking until melted and mostly smooth.
- Carefully add the sweet potato, turkey, parsley, and liquid smoke.
- Simmer about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Whisk in the xanthan gum and cook for 5 more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the fresh thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with cooked bacon and more fresh thyme leaves.
Approximate nutrition info per serving: 328 calories, 19g fat, 6g net carbs, 29g protein
- Serving Size: about 2 cups
- Calories: 328
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 6g net
- Protein: 29g