A low carb and gluten free recipe for Southern fried chicken.
- 5lbs chicken leg quarters
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup coconut flour
- oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Using your hands, massage the spices into the chicken and be sure it’s well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To prepare: Add the coconut flour to the seasoned chicken and toss well to coat. Heat oil about 2 inches deep in a large, heavy bottomed pan (cast iron is ideal or use a deep fryer if you have one) to 375 degrees (F). Add chicken in batches. Don’t overcrowd the pan or it won’t get crisp. Cook for about 8 minutes per side, or until a rich, golden brown.
- Test with a meat thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees. If you don’t have one, cut into a piece and make sure the meat isn’t pink before serving.
Approx nutrition info per serving: 425 calories, 32g fat, 1g net carbs, 34g protein
- Serving Size: Approximately 2 pieces