A delicious low carb and gluten free meatball recipe inspired by the classic Italian dish Chicken Piccata. Savory chicken meatballs with a tangy sauce of lemon and capers.
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp capers, drained and roughly chopped see example
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup butter
To make the meatballs:
- Combine the ground meat, almond meal, egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon zest, and parsley together in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly. Form into 15 meatballs. Heat the olive oil in a nonstick pan and fry the meatballs until golden brown and cooked through. Remove the meatballs and set aside.
To make the sauce:
- In the same pan as you cooked the meatballs, add the white wine and bring to a boil, scraping all of the meatball bits off of the pan and into the wine. Add the lemon juice and capers and reduce by about half (2-3 minutes). Remove from the heat and whisk in the lemon zest and butter until melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the meatballs and the sauce hot – over cooked, riced, cauliflower if desired.
Approx nutrition info per serving: 323 calories, 21g fat, 2g net carbs, 26g protein
**This info does not include the optional cauliflower suggested for serving.
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs, 1.5 Tbsp sauce