A low carb meatball recipe inspired by bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers
- 2 large jalapeno peppers
- 20 slices bacon
- 20 toothpicks
For the Meatball Mix
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
For the Filling
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 Tbsp prepared salsa
- Roast the jalapenos under the broiler until charred – about 3 minutes. Cool, then peel, seed and chop them. Set aside (you’ll need about 3 tablespoons for this recipe.)
To make the meatball mix
- Combine all of the meatball mix + 1 Tbsp roasted jalapenos in a medium bowl – set aside.
To make the filling mix
- Combine the cream cheese, cheddar, salsa, and 2 Tbsp roasted jalapenos in a small bowl – set aside.
To make the meatballs
- Form a small patty (about 2.5 inches across) in your left hand. Press about 1 tsp of filling into the center of the patty. Mold the meat evenly around the filling and form into a ball. Make 20 of these.
To wrap the meatballs
- Cut the bacon strips in half. Place one half on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place a meatball in the center of the strip. Fold the bacon up the sides of the meatball and pierce with a toothpick to hold in place. Lay a second half strip of bacon across the top of the meatball and tuck underneath. (refer to photo)
- Bake the meatballs at 375 degrees (F) for about 20 minutes. Then broil them (VERY CAREFULLY) for an additional 3 – 5 minutes or until the bacon is crisp. Turn off the oven and leave the meatballs inside for another 5 minutes. Remove and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Approximate nutrition information
per meatball: 163 calories, 13g fat, .8g net carbs, 11g protein
per serving (3): 489 calories, 39g fat, 2.4g net carbs, 33g protein
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs