Welcome to another edition of low carb Meatball Mondays! This week I turned another of my favorite snack foods, the Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper, into a low carb meatball recipe.
And if I do say so, the meatball is even better than the actual poppers! The crispy bacon exterior…. creamy cheesy interior…. Oh man these are seriously addicting!
I woke up exhausted this morning, with no meatball made for this week (I usually try to make them on the weekend, but was too busy), and felt a little overwhelmed with the pressure of getting it done today!
Due to my lack of energy and motivation, I considered dumbing down my initial recipe idea, and just throwing all of the ingredients into the mix and calling it a day. While it would have been tasty regardless, I am SO GLAD that I didn’t cave, and stuck to my original plan instead! These are AWESOME!
[pinterest text=”Jalapeno Popper Meatballs for Meatball Mondays (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/popperballs7small-700×504.jpg”]
Mr. Hungry is working from home today, so he got to sample them, and said they are his favorite so far. I’m inclined to agree – you guys will have to weigh in on the comments after you try them.
These are a tad more labor intensive than my previous meatball recipes, but SO VERY WORTH the few extra steps, trust me on this one!
[pinterest text=”Jalapeno Popper Meatballs for Meatball Mondays (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/popperballs2small-700×622.jpg”]
Notes: You can adjust the amount of jalapenos to your preference – if you like a lot of heat, you may want to try using serranos instead, or adding a few drops of your favorite habanero sauce to the cream cheese mixture.
[pinterest text=”Jalapeno Popper Meatballs for Meatball Mondays (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/popperballs3small-700×479.jpg”]
The final step calls for broiling these to get the bacon nice and crispy. PLEASE BE CAREFUL! The bacon will spit and pop and it could cause a fire. Keep the pan at least 6 inches below the broiler and watch them closely. You may want to drain some of the extra fat from the pan before you do the broiling step, to minimize the chance that it will catch on fire in the oven – or if you are really nervous about it, omit the broiling step altogether and bake an extra few minutes at 400 degrees – though they won’t get quite as crisp that way.
[pinterest text=”Jalapeno Popper Meatballs for Meatball Mondays (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/popperballs4small-700×940.jpg”]Print
Jalapeno Popper Meatballs – Low Carb & Gluten Free
A low carb meatball recipe inspired by bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers
- Yield: 20 large meatballs
- 2 large jalapeno peppers
- 20 slices bacon
- 20 toothpicks
For the Meatball Mix
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
For the Filling
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 Tbsp prepared salsa
- Roast the jalapenos under the broiler until charred – about 3 minutes. Cool, then peel, seed and chop them. Set aside (you’ll need about 3 tablespoons for this recipe.)
To make the meatball mix
- Combine all of the meatball mix + 1 Tbsp roasted jalapenos in a medium bowl – set aside.
To make the filling mix
- Combine the cream cheese, cheddar, salsa, and 2 Tbsp roasted jalapenos in a small bowl – set aside.
To make the meatballs
- Form a small patty (about 2.5 inches across) in your left hand. Press about 1 tsp of filling into the center of the patty. Mold the meat evenly around the filling and form into a ball. Make 20 of these.
To wrap the meatballs
- Cut the bacon strips in half. Place one half on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place a meatball in the center of the strip. Fold the bacon up the sides of the meatball and pierce with a toothpick to hold in place. Lay a second half strip of bacon across the top of the meatball and tuck underneath. (refer to photo)
- Bake the meatballs at 375 degrees (F) for about 20 minutes. Then broil them (VERY CAREFULLY) for an additional 3 – 5 minutes or until the bacon is crisp. Turn off the oven and leave the meatballs inside for another 5 minutes. Remove and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Approximate nutrition information
per meatball: 163 calories, 13g fat, .8g net carbs, 11g protein
per serving (3): 489 calories, 39g fat, 2.4g net carbs, 33g protein
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs
Be sure to cool these slightly before serving, or risk being burned by the molten cheese inside. These are even delicious at room temperature or slightly cool, so perfect to take with you for lunch. Not overly messy, they are also pretty easy to eat while on the go.
[pinterest text=”Jalapeno Popper Meatballs for Meatball Mondays (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/popperballs5small-693×950.jpg”]
For more great recipes, download your copy of The Gluten Free Low Carber today!10