Keto Beef Stew & Cheesy Biscuit Crust
This rich and hearty keto beef stew & cheesy biscuit crust is going to satisfy all of your keto comfort food cravings! Low carb and Atkins friendly.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 110 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Keto stews
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: British
For the Beef Stew:
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil, or other light tasting oil
- 2 lbs stew beef, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup roughly chopped celery
- 2 cups radishes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (to thicken)
For the biscuit crust:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon granulated erythritol sweetener
- 1 cup superfine blanched almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
To make the beef stew:
- Combine the coconut flour, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the raw beef pieces and mix well to coat the meat thoroughly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large, heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Add the beef and cook over medium high heat to brown, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil to the pan, then add the garlic, onion, celery and radishes.
- Saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until softened and fragrant.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and whisky to the pan and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked beef back to the pan, along with the water, dijon mustard, parsley, and thyme – then stir well. Cover and simmer for 1 hour over low heat.
- Remove the cover and whisk in the xanthan gum.
- Turn the heat up to medium, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes to reduce.
To make the cheesy biscuit dough:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the butter in a medium-sized microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high, uncovered, for 30 seconds or until melted.
- Add the sweetener, almond flour, coconut flour, salt, garlic powder, baking powder, xanthan gum, egg, fresh thyme, almond milk and cheddar and mix well with a fork.
- Transfer the beef stew to an oven safe casserole or cast iron pan.
- Top with 8 scoops or balls of biscuit dough.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes – or until the tops are golden brown and have puffed up slightly.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Total NET carbs per serving = 5g.
- Serving Size: 1 cup + 1 biscuit top
- Calories: 534
- Fat: 43g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 29g
Keywords: beef, stew, pot pies, meat pies, keto, Atkins, low carb, comfort food