This super tasty Keto French Onion Soup is coming at you with a rich, flavorful broth, sweet strands of caramelized onion, and a cheesy crouton topper. Vegetarian and gluten free options available.
For the soup:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- 8 cups beef stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or coconut aminos for gluten free & vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon granulated erythritol
- 8 slices Swiss or Gruyere cheese (to serve)
For the toppers:
- 1 batch Easy Keto Dough
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 bunch of thyme springs
To make the soup:
- Heat the oil and butter over low-medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions, salt, and pepper, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until the onions are a deep golden brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 – 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the white wine, thyme leaves, and bay leaves, and cook for 5 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the water, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce (or coconut aminos) and granulated erythritol (or other sugar sub) and simmer (not a rolling boil or you’ll have too much evaporation) uncovered over low to medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, then taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Keep warm until ready to serve, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You can also freeze this for up to 3 months.
For the toppers:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls of equal size.
- Press into 4 inch discs (or whatever size your preferred soup bowls will accommodate.)
- Place the discs on a large parchment-lined baking sheet and press the thyme leaves or sprigs into the top of the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes or a light golden brown. Remove and cool before storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To assemble and serve:
- If cold, heat the soup in a pot or the microwave before ladling into the serving bowls.
- Once hot, ladle the soup into oven proof bowls.
- Top with a thyme crouton and a slice of the cheese.
- Broil for 2 – 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted slightly golden on top.
- Serve hot.
Approximate net carbs = 10g for the soup with cheese and crouton.
Approximate net carbs for just the soup = 7g
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups soup + 1 topper + 1 slice cheese
- Calories: 418
- Fat: 31g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 22g
Keywords: keto onion soup, keto French onion soup, low carb French onion soup