This easy keto dough recipe is the best low carb dough I’ve ever made. Super versatile, it can be used in both sweet and savory keto recipes.
I’ve already posted this easy keto dough recipe here within the Cheesy Spinach Calzone, and Pumpkin Prosciutto Pizza recipes but I wanted to give it a post of its own so that I can link to it in future recipes rather than cluttering up the recipe card with the instructions for this dough every time.
I also thought it might be nice to include some tips for getting the best out of this easy keto dough, so that if you’re a first timer you’ll be able to get it right without any hiccups.
The primary difference between my easy keto dough and other keto dough recipes like fathead, is the inclusion of psyllium husk powder. It gives the end result a stretchy, chewy texture that is more like real bread than the typical fathead dough made with just butter, cheese, egg, and almond flour.
I also use whole milk mozzarella instead of part skim, which gives it a better mouthfeel in my opinion.
If you don’t have the psyllium husk powder, you can omit it or replace it with 1/2 the amount of xanthan gum which will give a similar result – though not as good in my opinion.
TIPS FOR MAKING EASY KETO DOUGH
After the cheese is melted and mixed, be sure to layer the additional ingredients in the order of almond flour, psyllium husk powder (sprinkled, not dumped) and the egg added last. If you drop the egg in first, it can start to cook and curdle on the hot cheese – the almond flour insulates it from the heat in those first few seconds.
After stirring with a spoon, knead the keto dough by hand for about 2 minutes to make sure that all the flour is fully incorporated into a smooth dough. Otherwise you can have clumps of hard flour and long strands of unmixed cheese in your finished dough.
This easy keto dough is very easy and forgiving to work with, but as it cools and dries out it can start to crack and break rather than stretch. Keep it covered when not working with it to avoid drying out. If it cools it will still work, it will just be a little tougher to manipulate – but no matter what don’t return it to the microwave to reheat it, because the eggs will cook and it will turn into a solid chunk.Print
This easy keto dough recipe is the best low carb dough I’ve ever made. Super versatile, this keto dough can be used in both sweet and savory recipes.
- 2 cups shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups superfine blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk powder
- 1 large egg
- Place the shredded mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high, for 1 – 2 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from the microwave and stir with a spatula until the cheeses are combined.
- Add the almond flour, psyllium husk powder (sprinkle don’t dump), and egg to the cheese mixture.
- Stir well with the spatula or a fork, until a stiff dough is formed.
- Knead the dough by hand for 2 – 3 minutes, to ensure all of the ingredients are fully mixed and the dough has a smooth consistency.
- Cover with a cloth or plastic until ready to use.
- Don’t reheat!
Approximate net carbs per serving = 4g.
- Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Calories: 326 calories
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 21g
Keywords: easy keto dough, mozzarella dough, fathead dough, low carb dough