Guys, Keto Crab Rangoons exist now, and I don’t know whether to go up for a high five or apologize, because these may just be TOO good, if you know what I mean!
Crispy on the outside, creamy and fluffy on the inside – these delicious Keto Crab Rangoons are everything you’ve been missing from your fave Chinese takeout place!
Well now you can make Keto Crab Rangoons at home, and they are pretty easy to execute – not to mention guilt free! Unless you eat them all in one sitting and I am taking zero responsibility here because they are totally THAT GOOD and you have been warned.
Ok so I know you’re wondering HOW this is even possible, so I’ll give you the rundown. We’re starting with my Easy Keto Dough, which is my (better) variation of a classic mozzarella dough.
Then we’re taking a pretty classic crab rangoon mixture of cream cheese, onion, and crab meat. You can use the good stuff for great flavor and the least amount of carbs, but even the canned stuff will work here because let’s face it, Crab Rangoons aren’t really about fine dining.
I’d stay away from the imitation crab meat (even though true confessions time I prefer that sweet fake flavor in my crab Rangoons) because it’s loaded with sugar and starches and will significantly increase the carbs in these Keto Crab Rangoons if you use it.
So – you’re making the dough, making the filling, and then pressing out your lil balls of dough into about a 3 inch disc as shown.
Then about a tablespoon of filling goes down. Don’t overfill or they will burst and leak your filling out into the oil.
Then you fold it over and press it all the way around to seal and form a half moon, then gently add it to your hot oil.
Because of the mozzarella and psyllium in the dough, it holds together beautifully during frying.
Finally you take them out when they are golden brown and TRY YOUR ABSOLUTE HARDEST not to eat one immediately or suffer the painful consequences of lava-like cream cheese burn.
Give them a couple of minutes and then have at it – with the added bonus of being able to enjoy them with intact taste buds.
I’m going to make a bold statement and say that I actually enjoyed these Keto Crab Rangoons EVEN MORE than the traditional kind made with wonton skins.
I know. It sounds crazy. But hear me out…
The reason is that this dough gets nice and crispy on the outside, but also has a thin layer of soft chewiness that melts in your mouth along with the crab filling. It’s hard to describe, but it’s almost like the texture of a thin fresh yeast donut – but savory. If that even makes sense. 🤷🏼♀️
The end result is a little more toothsome and satisfying than a typical crab rangoon in my opinion.
Now you’re going to have to make these Keto Crab Rangoons yourselves to see what I mean – and then let us know what you think in the comments!!!Print
Crispy on the outside, creamy and fluffy on the inside – these delicious Keto Crab Rangoons are everything you’ve been missing from your fave Chinese takeout place! Low carb and gluten free!
- Pour oil into a large saucepan to a depth of about 2 inches.
- Heat over medium-high heat until about 375 degrees, or hot enough for a tiny piece of bread or dough to sizzle and bubble immediately when dropped into it. This will take about 5-7 minutes – once it’s hot you can turn it to low to maintain the heat until you’re ready to start frying.
- While the oil is heating, combine the cream cheese, crab, onions, fish sauce, and erythritol in a small bowl and mix well.
- Divide the Easy Keto Dough into 18 balls of about 1 inch in size.
- Press one of the balls into a circle about 3 inches around, and place about a tablespoon of filling on one half of the circle.
- Fold the “naked” half over the filling, and press all the way around to seal the filling inside the dough completely so it won’t leak out during cooking.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Fry them about 3 at a time for 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown and puffed.
- Remove from the hot oil and place on a wire rack or paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool slightly.
- Serve hot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in the oven for 10 minutes at 400, or in the microwave uncovered for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
Approximate net carbs per 3 Rangoons = 5g
- Serving Size: 3 Rangoons
- Calories: 488
- Fat: 36g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 28g
Keywords: keto crab Rangoons, low carb crab Rangoons, keto appetizers