Cooking your Keto Lamb Shanks in the Instant Pot results in meltingly tender and flavorful lamb that falls off the bone. Since this Instant Pot lamb shank method only takes about an hour, it’s a LOT faster than braising your lamb shanks in the traditional way. Dairy free, Squeaky Clean Keto, and Whole 30 friendly.
- 2 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon granulated erythritol (omit for SCKC or Whole 30)
- 1/8th teaspoon xanthan gum (optional to thicken)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, to garnish
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chilis, to garnish
- Combine the salt, pepper, onion flakes, coriander, paprika, cumin, and garam masala in a small bowl.
- Rub the mixture all over the lamb shanks, reserving any extra spice mix.
- Turn your Instant Pot on and select the saute setting.
- Heat the oil in the pot and sear the lamb shanks for about 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- Add the ginger, garlic, reserved spice mixture, and tomato paste, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and water to the pot and stir, to release any bits from the bottom.
- Place the lid on the pot and seal it, making sure the vent is closed.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual, High Pressure, 45 minutes.
- When finished, turn off the instant pot and let it cool down for 15 minutes. Then release any remaining steam or pressure using the quick release lever.
- Remove the meat carefully, and set the pot back to sauté.
- Whisk in the sweetener and xanthan gum if using, then simmer the liquid, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Carefully add the lamb shanks back into the gravy and turn to coat.
- Serve the lamb shanks on cauliflower puree or cauliflower rice, with the gravy poured over the top and garnished with fresh cilantro and chilis if desired.
If cooking on the stovetop, after adding the liquids, cover and simmer on low heat for 2 – 3 hours, or until tender. Or place the covered pan in the oven for 2 – 3 hours at 325 degrees.
If cooking in a slow cooker – after adding the liquids, cover and set to 6 hours on high, or 8 hours on low.
Approximate net carbs per serving = 4g.
- Category: Keto Main Dishes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 1 lamb shank, 1/4 cup gravy
- Calories: 564
- Fat: 47g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 42g
Keywords: lamb shanks, lamb, curry, keto, instant pot, dinner, whole 30, low carb, dairy free, squeaky clean keto, SCKC