The whole family will love this super easy recipe that is loaded with beef, onion, and cheese! Gluten free, low carb, and keto friendly!
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps – or 16 smaller caps for appetizer sized
- 2 cups chopped deli roast beef (about 1lb)
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Combine the sliced onions, butter, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a medium saute pan. Cook over medium heat until the onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, place the mushroom caps upside down on a paper towel-lined plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Turn mushrooms over and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Add the beef to the onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mayonnaise and mustard – stir well.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Stuff the mushroom caps generously with the beef mixture (about 1/2 cup per cap if making four large ones), then top with a slice of cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Serve hot.
- Alternatively you could bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees (F) or grill them over indirect heat with the cover down for about 6 – 8 minutes.
Approx nutrition info per serving: 422 calories, 31g fat, 5g net carbs, 29g protein
- Category: Entree or Appetizer
- Cuisine: American